craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
i checked my inventory of chasing best Vincent sealants

20210403_SealantInventory1.jpg

oexing

VOC Member
The anaerobic Permatex at left could be my choice for engine case halves, provided it is a low strength type. For simpler covers any other types should do , when not much load gets transmitted by the seal from crank or gearbox components forces. In these places silicon or Hylomar is allright but not my choice on crankcase halves when a lot of forces from crank plus Vincent suspension/frame functions require a dead-solid unit .
Most times I won´t take silicon for gaskets in an engine, how do you remove remains of silicon before next assembling ?? Anaerobic seals can be softened with paint stripper and cleaned with plastic scraper, Hylomar with acetone, but silicon - messy.

Vic

craig

VOC Member
How much does a fully assembled Vincent twin engine weigh ?
asking for a friend.

Maybe just crankshaft and cases?

Thanks
Craig

Last edited:

greg brillus

VOC Member
A complete engine including mag, gen, carb's is about 90 Kg's, or 200 Lb's roughly. A twin set of cases on their own is about 19 Kg's, the new ones are about 20 kg's due to extra metal around the bearing housings. And a twin crank assembly is about 16 odd kg's.

greg brillus

VOC Member
The 2 Threebond's I use are 1207 b (black color) and 1215 (grey color) on all others. It is a non solvent neutral cure sagless sealant (does not smell like vinegar) I use it sparingly just a light coating on one surface and assemble straight away.........wipe off the excess which is absolutely minimal.........the covers come off easily and the cured sealant is easy to remove and do again if needed. I don't believe I've had any issues with it coming off and causing any issues. The Vincent cases are a massive structure, using enough through studs and 3 good sized hollow dowels to align the cases, so I don't believe there would be any shifting issues........an aircraft engine can go through massive temp changes like full power on climb, then rapid cooling in a dive or rapid decent..........Unless the Vincent goes from a Picador to a Lifleboat engine in one go, I don't see it as being an issue. Well they were just recycled Merlin's anyway...........

craig

VOC Member
Head bolt installation into the crankcase.
Is Wellseal the best thread sealant for the upper portion of the engaged threads?

What is the torque value to be used on the studs installed into the crankcase?

MO15HeadBoltsInstall.jpg