Misc: Everything Else 1951 Black Shadow Restoration

Sakura

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
If I read your drawing correctly it looks as if you are going to splay the cable and solder the blob onto the washer. It would probably be fine but for more security I would use a cup rather than a washer and solder the splayed end inside the cup. That way you replicate a nipple fixing, soldering the cable into the cup.

craig

VOC Member
I had indicated earlier that the cases, cylinders and heads were to be painted by me with rattle cans.
I purchased Spray Max 2k primer 3680034 and top coat 3680222.
Saturday was a light coat of primer, cured for 3 days. Only used half a can, tossed remaining.
Small amount of 600 sanding after 3 days on open areas.
Yesterday Tuesday was gloss black top coat day, only needed half can , tossing remainder.

I am happy with the case black gloss finish.
Cylinders and heads to done with Eastwood spray cans, which i don't have yet.

PS - I was able to do two battery trays as well.
The instructions for adjusting the spray pattern of the rattle can nozzle were found by accident on line at Spray max.
The ability to identify the date of manufacture of the aerosol was not found.
The handling time was 3hrs, cure time 12 hrs. I would have thought the time would be shorter.

20210330_SprayMaxPrimer1.jpg20210331_SprayMax3680222b.jpg20210331_SprayMaxTimingSide1.jpg

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
It certainly breaks my heart to throw those expensive part used cans I just used two pack clear on a petrol tank (2 pack is about the only thing to resist the brew they call petrol nowadays) but once the plunger is pulled and the tanks done, the tin is going to go off very quickly and if you dont have a ready second job .... remember this has to be done in full mask and protection outside. so no sneeking inside to just do a qick cover...

craig

VOC Member
Planning crankcase assembly , looking G54 and G55 which i have always installed.
KTB says "leave them out"

What's up

G54G55Issue.jpg

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
They are only there for initial assembly. Afterwards they are redundant. Left them out on my norvin, the box works quite happily .

craig

VOC Member
What is the latest super goop for sealing between the case halves?
Some kinda RTV, some kinda Hylomar, silicone not silicone, natural organic, vegan, gluten free, salt free, lo carb product.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Either Permatex No 2 or Loctite gasket eliminator.
Or you could use silicone and have the joy of completely dismantling the engine for a major rebuild in a few weeks time, when the little loose bits of extra silicone lodge themselves permanently in several oil passages!