Misc: Everything Else 1951 Black Shadow Restoration

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am currently fitting VSM brakes to the H38/1, 20"front wheel and I have found W5413 cones mated with 09195 races and an alloy spacer (~0.100") behind the 09195. This wheel has not been mounted or used since being built 7 years ago and the hub may have been assembled with handy Vincent parts.

My issue is this front wheel with VSM brake plates appears too wide at the axle 6-3/8".

My Girdraulics want 6-1/8" and the VSM brake plates look like they need to be fitted more fully on the VSM plain axle as well.

Different cone?

I am having to retrain on 067, 074,195,196, H59, H59/1, H22 etc.

Craig

20201217_09195RaceSpacer1.jpg

Last edited:

davidd

VOC Member
But you can't use it with a sidecar ??, No sidecar trail ?

Although I have sold all the fork stems that I made, they all were designed to use eccentrics and do sidecar work, if the owner chose to do so. I think it was Simon who posed this question on one of the posts on the modified steering stem.

Jim Young used my design in his sidecar rig:

20200927_125815_HDR (2).jpg

David

vibrac

VOC Member
Now thats the seat I would like to fit I shall have to look for a Pergusa to modify I have tried it before it was very very comfortable but the supports were lacking I like the look of those shown above

1608743387785.png

oexing

VOC Member
That seat on the blue bike looks like a Drilastic type - not so great with its rivets in rubber coated textile base. You can still get covers for them but really the Pagusa type is a better choice .
Drilastic Ebay

There are different types of Pagusa constructions and I will get one of them but cannot tell yet what´s best to fit to the Vincent , have not worked out how to. The Earles BMW type got no steel springs but a metalastic element for the driver seat, maybe suitable as well .

Vic
Pagusa rubber seats

Last edited:

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Your mention of a metalastic mount has got me thinking, there would be no rear mount of any sort then. I have a similar sort of seat frame to the Pagusa with a large adjustable central spring, but that has to mount too high.

oexing

VOC Member
After some investigations I have a better clue about that metalastic element. On Earles fork BMWs there is a horizontal plate welded to the upper frame that supports the bottom of the metalastic with two M 6 screws. So you´d have to provide bracketry on the Vincent to this purpose, plus a bracket for the pivot at the front. I´d think you can bolt a bracket to the two tank mounting screws for the front pivot and some more bracket for the metalastic at the rear. Maybe using the sidecar mounting tube, or when having a rear carrier frame on the bike use that for a cross tube between sides at the suitable place for the bottom plate to fix the metalastic. But then I can imagine you may have any type of Pagusa rubber seat, tension spring, compression spring, or metalastic, and weld a bracket on the rear frame for support.
I still need some more months to arrive at this stage for posting my setup, but anyway I´ll have a rubber seat for sure. Our prewar Guzzi had the Lycette type saddle initially but I binned that for the rubber type for maximum comfort. Before it was like :
Rolling, rolling, rolling,
oh Lord. my ass is swollen . . . .

Vic
BMW seat

BMW saddle

PDF saddle, scroll down page 62 for picture
Sorry, could not add pictures from links, copy protection ?

craig

VOC Member
TopPrimerSpraymax1.jpg

I am looking for spray can choices for Vincent Black Shadow engine paint on main cases, cylinders and heads. Spraymax has been out for10 years. Spraymax is being touted for high quality paint rivaling shop paint work.
I remember Plasticote being Big Sid's choice for Shadow engines.
What is the experience with Spraymax?

Last edited: