Misc: Everything Else 1951 Black Shadow Restoration

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
20201220_ProjectShadow51.jpg

I was offered a Black Shadow project in 2013. I purchased the project and immediately started work on it.
Took the cylinders and heads to local Vincent machinist only 3 hrs away.
Crankshaft had been completed ,prior to my purchase, by a Canadian expert and also the tank was painted and done by "Bones".
Then, another Vincent project came up, Then a buddy stopped by and said" Go buy a BMW and lets travel the USA".
Then I got a wild hair and wanted to do the Trans America Trail (TAT). So I purchased a Husqvarna 701E and proceeded to farkle it out for the off road journey. So the Shadow was boxed up for another day.

All that behind, I am now focused on this Shadow project.
The pic above shows the big stuff with a thousand other pieces and projects in boxes.

My goal is a street friendly Black Shadow to ride on a semi daily basis, couple times a week.

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
Shadow6621C.jpg

So here is my finished look of a Shadow at this time. Hills stand, electric start, correct color scheme, alloy fenders, chrome steel wheels, stainless spokes, 5" speedo, etc.

This picture is not my Shadow, just a good example for what i want for my project.
My Shadow, Dec 21, 2020, is the first posted picture!
Probable add WP suspension.
Will add VSM brakes on front.
Maybe Amal concentrics and filters.
Maybe a Craven rack.
Miller sealed beam.
LED lighting out the rear.
Alton dynamo, Podtronics reg
Shorai battery stuffed in "EXIDE" plastic box

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
My Vincent machinist in the USA is Randy Long in PA.

Randy Long
Long's Mechanical Services
R.D. 1, Box 685-K
74 Risbon Road
Honey Brook PA 19344
610-286-5870

Randy has done a Comet cylinder, head, crankshaft,
Rapide cylinders, heads, crankshaft,
Shadow cylinders, heads
for my personal rider Vincents.
And many others for my work on other Vincents.

He provides machine shop services for many Vincent owners in the USA.
He receives and ships many big machine shop items everyday.

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
I would suggest to make it better and safer to use, especially if you are fitting VSM brakes that you fit the modified steering stem, it makes a tremendous difference.
This Girdraulic set is fresh, straight and easily worked right now.
So who what where makes this mod stem please?
Thank you
Craig
20201214_NewBladesStraight1.jpg

timetraveller

VOC Member
It is me. about two hundred people have fitted the modified steering head with Greg alone having taken about 50 for Australia. I think that everyone who is racing a Vincent with a standard chassis now has this modification but it is not only safer, it is also much more comfortable. For maximum comfort it should be installed together with the rear coil over damper from AVO and a fully sprung rear seat. If you want all the fitting instructions then send me a PM with your email address and I will send you the fitting instructions as either a WORD file or a PDF. Your choice. There is also a hydraulic steering damper kit to go with the modified steering head, or indeed one to go with a standard steering head. There is very little change to the appearance of the bike with the steering head mod and not much change with the hydraulic steering damper as it goes across the bike under the steering head, not fore and aft.