H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres 1950 Series 'B' with Bramptons - what's the best brake linings?

Mark Stephenson

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Folks

Love to get the latest thinking on how to improve stopping power with standard Series B brakes, front in particular. I have a local person who can apply AM4 linings and turn the drum for surface area alignment. I have been reading the forums and hear that this might improve stopping power but also pick up a squeak? Like to improve stopping power and have the silence of my current brakes in action. Also assuming that brake pads that show some surface above the rivots are good but should watch them...true?

See attached

Thanks so much...novice to all this. Mark

Attachments

• image0 (1).jpg
    image0 (1).jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0081.jpg
    IMG_0081.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 14

Albervin

VOC Member
It depends on how much you want to spend.. The new brake shoes now available have eyes instead of hooks for the springs plus have webbing for increased strength. I would certainly go with bonded linings not the rivets. The new shoes from Neal Videan also have a larger surface area BUT as with everything they come at a price, especially four new lined shoes.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Wasn't Timetraveler offering reinforced brake shoes also? The standard shoes are known for flexing.

This mod is easy to change back to standard:

Attachments

• Brake_Mod_001.jpg
    Brake_Mod_001.jpg
    423.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Brake_Mod_1_001.jpg
    Brake_Mod_1_001.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 26

timetraveller

VOC Member
Yes, a new batch is being cast, machined and lined at the moment. I can't tell you when they will be ready but my guess is about a month. The difference from the standard shoes is that they do not have the dip in the shoes at each end of the lining which allows much longer linings to be fitted. Additionally the hook for the springs is replaced by an enlarged part of the casting with a hole in it so there is nothing to break off or fatigue. They are also cast with stiffening gussets between the lining surface and the radial part of the shoe to give additional stiffness. Although there was some earlier discussion about which part of the lining has the most effect the feedback from Australia from someone who got Greg to fit the shoes is that they are the best Vincent brakes he has ever had. I assume that this does not include twin leading shoes or whatever. More details are available via the earlier postings which can be found under the search function.

greg brillus

VOC Member
I believe the "Vintage Brake" website has been withdrawn on account of him being so busy. For me that has become a common problem, it is getting very hard to get things done now.

Alyson

VOC Member
So, what's the cost for a set of shoes (4) w/ linings for Girdraulics ? and when can I get them ?

timetraveller

VOC Member
Alyson, type 'new 7" brake shoes' into the search facility, top right of the page. There you will find a lot of details. The last batch were £105 per pair and that includes a new spring and two new steel end plates fitted. You can order a set by posting here or emailing me on enw07@btinternet.com. Pleased note that I am not a business. That means that I am not always available. These are made to order and I have to wait for them to be ready. I never take a deposit or any money up front and only tell you the final price when I have them and know the cost of postage. I expect to be paid before shipping them. If ever you are unhappy about anything I have supplied you will get a full refund if the items are returned as sent out.