Wiring Series C Comet Rapide

Andrew Lawton

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello I'm new to the Vincent scene.
I am currently looking after two Vincent series C comet and rapide.
The wiring on these bikes need a good looking at if not rewire. Just a quick question would these bike have been wired with the cotton breaded wiring?
Any help will be much appreciated.

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The Series C Comet and Rapide would use a Miller wiring harness. Both bikes would use the same item. The Club shop should have a replacement harness that will do the job.

If you want a replica of the original Miller I had Rhode Island Wiring do a copy of an unused original Miller wiring harness. It is as close as they could get to the original. The miller does not use a woven loom, but a rubber sleeve.

They also make a Series D wiring harness, which is a Lucas item. It has a woven loom and this is duplicated on the Rhode Island Series D harness.

See Foreign Vehicles under Vincent.

David

Andrew Lawton

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
David that is a great help. We are not after the 100% genuine look just make it look period and looking nice. Ill have look in the club shop and purchase one. Many thanks again.

Sakura

Non-VOC Member
Andy buy yourself some different sized black "Heat shrink" to use around crimp terminals if you use them, this will hide the bright colours of them which looks unsightly on our old bikes, one of my pet hates........Cheers......Greg.
On my last restoration, the last SOS ever built, I covered all the thin silicone wiring with matt black heat shrink. It looks very much like rubber covered wiring.

A_HRD

VOC Member
All good stuff, but can a moderator move the thread to the post-war tech advice section please...
Peter B

Andrew Lawton

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thank you for all your help, wiring loom will be ordered and heat shrink to cover up the connections.
Ill delete this thread A-HRD sorry for putting it in the wrong thread.

Many Thanks again people

Albervin

VOC Member
Thank you for all your help, wiring loom will be ordered and heat shrink to cover up the connections.

Many Thanks again people
Andrew, one problem we have today is the modernisation of our bikes. Whether it is a modern regulator or non original switches . I know this may be heresy but over here in Australia we do what we can do. I had an electrician with over 20 years of Vincent experience re-wire my Rapide last year. He used heat shrink, solder and modern connectors plus fuses (!!). All very tidy with no sign of cable ties or coloured wires. I can still remove the UFM and RFM as per original but the quality is undeniable. All my electrics work better than in the last twenty years. Total cost for wires and labour was $250 or £120. Very happy.

A_HRD

VOC Member
No need to apologise Andrew- nor to try and remove the thread. Each section has one or two volunteer 'moderators' (thanks guys) who keep things tidy and under control...
You'll note that this thread is now in the post-war section already. :)
Peter B