E: Engine Will This TDC Tool With Gage Fit A Twin?

CarlHungness

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
This is a link to an eBay TDC tool with a guage I like and wonder if it will fit on
the rear cylinder with the fuel tank in place, so looking for opinions. I have
spoked and poked for years, then split the degrees on my wheel, which
has worked fine. But I like the accuracy this tool can provide and it's cheap.

timetraveller

VOC Member
The 18 mm thread will not fit into a Vincent spark plug hole. Also why do you think that trying to find the exact point of TDC will be easy when the piston is hardly moving for a few degree about TDC? It is possible that a dial gauge will give you enough accuracy and I can see the advantage of only having to make one measurement rather then two and then splitting the difference but whatever you are up to you need to fit a degree plate so why not use that, with a piston stop, to get TDC exact.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
The other reason it is not workable is the sparkplug is set at an angle to the cylinder. So when the piston reaches the anvil it will not be able to push directly , but will tend to bend it . Then comes the fun part, removing the broken tool from the sparkplug hole!

CarlHungness

VOC Member
The 18 mm thread will not fit into a Vincent spark plug hole. Also why do you think that trying to find the exact point of TDC will be easy when the piston is hardly moving for a few degree about TDC? It is possible that a dial gauge will give you enough accuracy and I can see the advantage of only having to make one measurement rather then two and then splitting the difference but whatever you are up to you need to fit a degree plate so why not use that, with a piston stop, to get TDC exact.
I posted the wrong pic...I know it's a 14 mm hole. I've been using the degree wheel and a piston stop for years,
but was enamored with the gage. My degree wheel needs a bit of modification, the 'spindle' I run it on, a
threaded rod ground to a taper doesn't turn precisely true, so my degree wheel moves up and down a bit. I've
used it so extensively lately that I thought I'd upgrade everything from my spoke, to my degree wheel and the
gage appealed to me. I feel like I need a bushing in the timing chest to hold the spindle for the degree wheel,
but lately I've been removing the timing chest and stuffing my spindle/rod into the hole without as much accuracy
as I'd like. I ground a threaded rod to a taper and that's my spindle I run the degree wheel on, and I sure want it
to turn more true than it does. And I'm always buying or making tools that I just think are cool, and make the job
more craftsman-like. When I read that setting the mag at 2-4 degrees BTDC (with ATD closed) I wanted to make positively sure I was on the mark, and thought the gage would help. Actually I probably don't need more gizmos
and just have to spend more time thinking. I almost made the 'balloon' TDC tool once too.