T: Fuel Tank Very Early Small Cut away Tank

passenger0_0

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Eugine,
I've taken a couple of photos of the front tank mounts from my early B (you know the number). This tanks is slightly different shape compared to later ones, particularly around the rear mount, and the oil filler sticks up higher. Come have a look at the upcoming national rally?
Cheers David

Attachments

• 20200209_113133.jpg
    20200209_113133.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 20200209_113119.jpg
    20200209_113119.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 38

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
David,

I would imagine that yours is a flat bottom tank too. It probably stated life with no rear tabs

I’ll be in touch about the rally.

Best.

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
So I guess my "early" small cut out tank is the more "conventional" Series B tank as you would expect to see without the rear support spacer tabs?

This is more than likely a bit later than ones David and I have. It has the anti vibration pressed areas in the bottom and the rear tabs to tie the two halves together.

Last edited:

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Hi Eugine,
I've taken a couple of photos of the front tank mounts from my early B (you know the number). This tank is a slightly different shape compared to later ones, particularly around the rear mount and the oil filler sticks up higher. Come have a look at the upcoming national rally?
Cheers David
I noticed a small hole in each bracket. I've done this on one of my petrol tanks for lock wiring so that I can just squeeze the rubbers a little without fear of the bolts vibrating out.

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
I noticed a small hole in each bracket. I've done this on one of my petrol tanks for lock wiring so that I can just squeeze the rubbers a little without fear of the bolts vibrating out.
Must admit that I've not really noticed these little holes before. She's not a race bike so only the oil feed drain plug is wire-locked. I make a point of tightening everything to be just snug with anti-sieze lube. If anything comes loose then it's a sign there's something wrong with the engine.

Pushrod Twin

VOC Member
This is more than likely a bit later than ones David and I have. It has the anti vibration pressed areas in the bottom and the rear tabs to tie the two halves together.
Yes,bottom pressings. No rear tabs. Maybe slightly broader at the back, but may also be the angle I took the photo at. Sorry, I cant bring it to the rally, it doesnt fit over my 4" diameter oil tank. :confused:

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Regarding when the tabs and distance piece were added, Bickerstaff's book Original Vincent is where the frame number 2408 is listed.