T: Fuel Tank Very Early Small Cut away Tank

Gene Nehring

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have what I believe is a very early small cut away tank. I purchased it this weekend from a friend and fellow VOC member.

Can anyone confirm or do they know if the early tanks looked like the one I have. There are several distinctive features, the front tank mounts are welded to the inside tunnel of the tank, it also has no rear tabs to connect and reduce vibration. Please see the photos below and would love some input.

Best,

Eugene.
IMG_0351.jpeg
IMG_0352.jpeg
IMG_0353.jpeg
IMG_0357.jpeg
IMG_0362.JPG
IMG_0359.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0358.jpeg
    IMG_0358.jpeg
    252.9 KB · Views: 47
Last edited by a moderator:

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
True, early tanks did not have the tabs at the rear for the support spacer. When tanks quickly started splitting, the tabs and spacer were added.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
According to the list of mods in the owners handbook, the distance piece started with frame number 2416.

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
I understand form the Craig's list on the vincent.com the tabs were added around engine 408 - 1948ish

Petrol tank T1 added rear lugs, spacer, bolt and nuts40924081948

Somer

VOC Member
There was actually an even earlier tank. It was slightly larger. One is pictured in Bickerstaff's book. I found the remains of one when I brought a load out of Argentina in 91.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Be careful with vincent.com website as there are a lot of errors on that site, especially when looking at what they list as production numbers & serial numbers etc.
Simon

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
There was actually an even earlier tank. It was slightly larger. One is pictured in Bickerstaff's book. I found the remains of one when I brought a load out of Argentina in 91.

Hi Somer,

Was the front mounts of the tank inboard like this one? I will have to take a look in Her book and see if I can find it.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Be careful with vincent.com website as there are a lot of errors on that site, especially when looking at what they list as production numbers & serial numbers etc.
Simon
The copy of the Richardson list I have shows the frame number only, for when the petrol tank distance piece was added. It is listed as frame 2416. Where did thevincent.com get 2408? And when any type of information lists only one number, frame or engine, I would never attempt to reverse engineer the other number, since there are too many rules, and even variations within a given rule.

Pushrod Twin

VOC Member
So I guess my "early" small cut out tank is the more "conventional" Series B tank as you would expect to see without the rear support spacer tabs?

Attachments

• 20200209_081812_resized.jpg
    20200209_081812_resized.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 20200209_081856_resized.jpg
    20200209_081856_resized.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 48