Versatiller

Pushrod Twin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
While aimlessly wandering around a vintage farm machinery exhibition with my grand kids today, I discovered these two little darlings. Does the Machine registrar need to know?
20200206_135941_resized.jpg
20200206_135948_resized.jpg
20200206_135959_resized.jpg
20200206_140013_resized.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Pushrod Twin

VOC Member
Oh? They are probably the first pair I ever recall seeing, and not having studied them in detail, I wasnt aware. What colour should they be, black with gold lines, or was there a Post Office Red version for USA?
As for numbers, it was difficult to read the data plates. Which numbers are supposed to match, engine & fuel tank handlebar? The mower attachments were nowhere in site, I guess they all left the factory as a matched set?
If we subtract the mower number from the engine, should we get 1900?:D

vibrac

VOC Member
Came across one tucked away at a farm machinery sale Ah! I thought I am away here just a few old farmers buying tractors
By the time the auctioneer had reached down the line to the spot it was twenty deep
I did not get a look in:)

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
Just pulling your leg Roy.
I picked up a complete and original finish Versatiller off Trademe about 10 years ago cheap as chips.
Engine numbers still follow Vincent coding protocol.
Strangely mine doesn't have the letter C in there though.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Did they do an uprated "Pro" version fitted with a Rapide engine or maybe a Shadow engined "Pro+" for really tough jobs like tilling a hole from Stevenage to NZ?:D

Pushrod Twin

VOC Member
Did they do an uprated "Pro" version fitted with a Rapide engine or maybe a Shadow engined "Pro+" for really tough jobs like tilling a hole from Stevenage to NZ?:D
No Ed, I dont believe they did. However, the Australians recognised the value of the idea and made a large side valve Vee twin version called Howard. That became the code name for the operation when the convicts tried to tunnel their way back to Blighty. ;)

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
No Ed, I dont believe they did. However, the Australians recognised the value of the idea and made a large side valve Vee twin version called Howard. That became the code name for the operation when the convicts tried to tunnel their way back to Blighty. ;)
The Howard sounds like something I need to help me with my gardening. (Assuming it stops raining.)