• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

Versatiller

Pushrod Twin

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
While aimlessly wandering around a vintage farm machinery exhibition with my grand kids today, I discovered these two little darlings. Does the Machine registrar need to know?20200206_135941_resized.jpg20200206_135948_resized.jpg20200206_135959_resized.jpg20200206_140013_resized.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Pushrod Twin

VOC Member
Oh? They are probably the first pair I ever recall seeing, and not having studied them in detail, I wasnt aware. What colour should they be, black with gold lines, or was there a Post Office Red version for USA?
As for numbers, it was difficult to read the data plates. Which numbers are supposed to match, engine & fuel tank handlebar? The mower attachments were nowhere in site, I guess they all left the factory as a matched set?
If we subtract the mower number from the engine, should we get 1900?:D

vibrac

VOC Member
Came across one tucked away at a farm machinery sale Ah! I thought I am away here just a few old farmers buying tractors
By the time the auctioneer had reached down the line to the spot it was twenty deep
I did not get a look in:)

passenger0_0

VOC Member
Just pulling your leg Roy.
I picked up a complete and original finish Versatiller off Trademe about 10 years ago cheap as chips.
Engine numbers still follow Vincent coding protocol.
Strangely mine doesn't have the letter C in there though.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Did they do an uprated "Pro" version fitted with a Rapide engine or maybe a Shadow engined "Pro+" for really tough jobs like tilling a hole from Stevenage to NZ?:D

Pushrod Twin

VOC Member
Did they do an uprated "Pro" version fitted with a Rapide engine or maybe a Shadow engined "Pro+" for really tough jobs like tilling a hole from Stevenage to NZ?:D
No Ed, I dont believe they did. However, the Australians recognised the value of the idea and made a large side valve Vee twin version called Howard. That became the code name for the operation when the convicts tried to tunnel their way back to Blighty. ;)

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
No Ed, I dont believe they did. However, the Australians recognised the value of the idea and made a large side valve Vee twin version called Howard. That became the code name for the operation when the convicts tried to tunnel their way back to Blighty. ;)
The Howard sounds like something I need to help me with my gardening. (Assuming it stops raining.)

Little Honda

VOC Member
Just pulling your leg Roy.
I picked up a complete and original finish Versatiller off Trademe about 10 years ago cheap as chips.
Engine numbers still follow Vincent coding protocol.
Strangely mine doesn't have the letter C in there though.
This reminds me of my very first tuning object, when I was in my teenage years: Our neighbour was an old chap
who had 2 left hands. He used to cut his electric cable with his lawn mower. So my father offered him our mower, which was an english make with 2 driven wheels. As it had sheared its drive teeth inside the left wheel,
my father got a new mower and told me to pass the old one to our neighbour. In my very best intention, I
wanted to check it over and to increase power a bit, as it only had left one drive wheel. So I pulled the cylinder
off and filed a long afternoon until dark. I had never done this b4, but had listened to my experienced pals, who
all had tuned their mopeds, themselves. Of course, I started the engine, b4 bringing it to our neighbour, to know, everything was in good order.
2 days later, after school, sun shining, I saw our neighbour mowing his lawn. The engine was sounding like a
screamin eagle, the exhaust tube was bright red, and the neighbour was spitting all the time, having a green
face, as all the grass flew in a long bow over the carry into his face due to the higher revs of the knife. As he
could not walk as fast as the mower wanted to work, the single driven wheel was turning and slipping over the
ground, leaving burnt gras along each line, he went.
I wanted to stop him, but he did not hear my shouting due to the screaming engine. So I went.
He used it quite satisfied for quite some time this summer, without engine-breakdown.