F: Frame UFM Dimensions

Robert Watson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Danny Smith found his alloy headstock about 1/2 way between his lathe and his mill. It did need a few extra bits of metal removing, have you thought of looking at the same place in your machine shop??

Last edited:

timetraveller

VOC Member
Talk to me Vincent. The ali head stock together with the ali JE steering head save about 5 kg weight. Can be supplied fitted with taper roller head races and fully assembled, with or without a hydraulic steering damper. Both types of head stock can be provided.

Pushrod Twin

VOC Member
Yust a question, before i start a difficult (well to me) surch;

WHO can sell me an ALUminum
HEADstock.

Please
Vincent, for you an aluminium headstock would be OK if you machined one from a slab of 7075 or 7050, or better still, had one forged from same. However, I would be really reluctant to have one cast as I believe may have happened in Australia.

Pushrod Twin

VOC Member
Several have found that chemicals don't get all the deposits out and install a Conways manhole or cut a window out of the side for mechanical cleaning. Any thoughts on doing that?
Yes, I have thought of that, and may follow down that path if I have any suspicion that the chemical, or rinsing,has not removed everything. Having once been in charge of an aircraft engine component cleaning facility, I have plenty of faith in, and respect for,hot caustic soda.I also need paint removed from the outside before welding.:)

timetraveller

VOC Member
A question for Pushrod Twin, what happened in Australia with a cast aluminium steering head. The ones which I know of and which are being produced locally are LM25 heat treated. The casting shape is slightly beefed up in certain areas so is there evidence that there has been a failure somewhere?
Secondly, with regard to cleaning the inside of UFM. Good luck with the hot caustic soda but when I cleaned mine out I tried a variety of solvents and shaking a collection of nuts inside the oil tank and a pressure washer. I then cut a hole in the top for a manhole and there was about quarter of an inch of really solid black gunge in the bottom of the tank which required mechanical scraping to remove it. I could not have got that tank clean without the manhole. On another, I made the hole for the manhole and the tank was still completely clean inside. My guess is that it is a function of how the bikes have been used and what oils have been used as to how bad the problem is but you cannot see how bad it is without either a man hole or a fibre optic probe.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Talk to me Vincent. The ali head stock together with the ali JE steering head save about 5 kg weight. Can be supplied fitted with taper roller head races and fully assembled, with or without a hydraulic steering damper. Both types of head stock can be provided.
Talking to you Norman:
Please send me only a B "Fork" type over.
Although i would use it on a C bike.
I will fill up the gap in the head FT3/2
And put interf fit bush in the lot with a M8 12.9 bolt to clamp up
So it stays as stiff as possible.

Thanx in advance

vibrac

VOC Member
I think that in the perfect world Time traveler is right and if I ever get to that sort of strip down I might do as he suggests however the key word in his posting #15 is "solid" if the muck is solid it aint going anywhere fast by definition its a deposit its not in the oil flow it has been exposed to hot oil and high vibration for seventy years however remember these two points:
A. dont use modern detergent oils
B. change the oil and filter at high frequency

I wont clean the RFM on my racers, hells teeth there might be some mineral oil lurking in those solid deposits!

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Talking to you Norman:
Please send me only a B "Fork" type over.
Although i would use it on a C bike.
I will fill up the gap in the head FT3/2
And put interf fit bush in the lot with a M8 12.9 bolt to clamp up
So it stays as stiff as possible.

Thanx in advance
Vincent, Oh dear, M8 12.9, Brexit can't come quick enough, lets get these foreigners out of the club, metric indeed!

timetraveller

VOC Member
Just to worry you Vibrac; after I had the UFM clean I decided I would see how much dirt there was in the oil ways in the timing cover. It was not just dirty oil in there but something more determined. It took quite a long time before the dark material stopped flowing. No chunks of shiny aluminium like an oil filter but just black dirt of some sort.