G: Gearbox (Twin) Twin Gear Change Adjustment

John Cone

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Surely if you have taken the right side foot rest off to remove the gear change cover it would release any tension on the engine plate. I haven't got the 2 E80 nuts on my cross shaft because i moved my battery to inside the rear cowl to enable me to mount my alternator. But i did make sure the the overall length was the same. But thanks for mentioning it.

stu spalding

VOC Member
I've often wondered about the need for both E80 nuts. Surely, if one nut is adjusted it is then locked by tightening footrest hanger nut FT161. Just a thought. Cheers, Stu.

vibrac

VOC Member
The battery hanger tension ,the condition of the components, the reduction of the inertia,the surface of the contact between the plunger and the cam plate, these are all discussed ad infinitum and I and many others understand the problems and we all have that very grimy page in our Richardson!
But the basic problem remains it is a hitt or miss situation not up to the level of dependability of the rest of the bike I venture to say even the Albion box change is more dependable.
Tomo is one of the few guys who have tried to tackle the root of the problem but I see few other attempts in our archives. Sometimes you are lucky but it shouldn't be like that we all know it comes back to bite us in the b*m, or perhaps I am the only one?

John Cone

VOC Member
While i wait for my new G59 to arrive John Hood carried out a small mod to the G57 and G49. This was done because someone mentioned about the G57 digging into the G49 and mine had been doing this Thanks John.

Attachments

• IMG_6281.JPG
    IMG_6281.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_6282.JPG
    IMG_6282.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_6283.JPG
    IMG_6283.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_6284.JPG
    IMG_6284.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 86

Cyborg

VOC Member
While i wait for my new G59 to arrive John Hood carried out a small mod to the G57 and G49. This was done because someone mentioned about the G57 digging into the G49 and mine had been doing this Thanks John.

Makes me wonder why they didn’t do something like that in the first place. Not sure I’ve seen one that wasn’t digging in.

vibrac

VOC Member
I will sort a washer on mine this morning that blo**y gear change is my next job I am not looking forward to it

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Regarding adjustability of the gear change mechanism, here is a photograph to frighten the children. I have been doing this to all my bikes for over fifty years. The original reason was not for access to the gear mechanism.
cut down gear cover_compressed.JPG

A brave man that takes a hacksaw to his G1/1 kick start cover when a replacement is £380. (Or £580 if yours is the earlier HRD G1 like mine.:eek:)

Albervin

VOC Member
Well, my G1 has been cut to fit an electric starter. Now I am in a bind whether to have it welded up and just kick or leave it to the next owner. As it is fitted to a Series C Shadow it causes much confusion.