G: Gearbox (Twin) Twin Gear Change Adjustment

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
On the Egli racer (which is as near to a good gearchange as I ever got) it was not just the 5 speed. but because I had no kick start I opened out the ears of G61 (later pattern)flat and brazed two 1/4 bsf nuts on edge and added some adjusting screws this allows independent fixed stops for the mechanism. Another good idea from 40 years on. ........
If you want to do this on a non-race bike you need an electric start. (Or be good at doing bump starts.) I have removed the kickstart quadrant and made a thicker G61 extended a little for welding the nuts on.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Not sure if it is the exact same mod, but ClevTrev made alternate parts that incorporate a non-overrun feature.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I get the G43s made for the Spares Company and some time ago I offered to get the people who do that to make a batch of the modified ones as in #12 above. There was no interest but the offer is still there if enough people are interested.

powella

Non-VOC Member
I confess I have been playing with these things for to long to contemplate. But I still find Richardson's instructions hard to follow,I honestly could not tell you after adjustment if that lever will work in all gears or not. Sometimes it does and I have even been able to smack smack smack as per the book up and down, and some times nothing is right, and worst of all is a perceived perfect action on the bench and then one gear is not always trustworthy on the road. Its not that I dont understand the mechanism and I know if a part is worn, Its just I find the difference between a good gearchange and a poor one can be an almost imperceptible adjustment. Having also worked on the Albion box I think I can see where the ideas came from.
If anyone has an understandable foolproof method with or without Gismos now is you chance to tell us.
Alternatively I rather fancy trying the modifications developed by Thomo (He of the Four valve Vincent).
Hi
I see you mention Tomo Tomson`s 4 Valve Vincent - is this still around and if so where?

Last edited by a moderator:

vibrac

VOC Member
I believe so I saw it at Tomos place a year or so ago it's a real master piece he showed me the original drawings
Very little recognition of his work and of course the BHR made it difficult for him to race in the appropriate class

Albervin

VOC Member
I experienced a similar problem last year on a Rapide. The final solution was new parts. After three days of frustration trying to adjust the relevant parts a decision was made. The new parts were fitted and adjusted in less than an hour.

Ducdude

VOC Member
In my case it only took small adjustments with new parts to get the bike shifting just so. The original bits G49 and G57 had too much wear to properly adjust for any reasonable duration.

Last edited by a moderator: