ET: Engine (Twin) Timing

lee_812d

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Damn, I'm not going to get any sleep now! Yes it has been pointed out more than once that I got the number of teeth wrong.

MichaelOrgzey

VOC Member
Well, there is a bit an error creeping in here. The half-time pinion has 24 teeth and once the large idler is spun all marks go out of line, so the "misalignment" of the half-time pinion alone is not a function of the hunting tooth. In any case, Big Sid probably got it right and if the bike goes well then best leave it alone
I definitely will

craig

VOC Member
So cam timing at crossover point I am at 5°BTDC on rear and at 2°BTDC on front with 0.058" lift using Mk1 cams.
Close enough for rider Rapide?

20230129_CamOverlapMatch1.jpg

Last edited:

oexing

VOC Member
Now that looks very scientific ! At this stage I´d recommend marking the cam gears and engine case like in my photo. So later you don´t have to do the full Monty for finding equal lift overlap. You just set rear gear to its corresponding marks and install the half time gear at 4 degrees BTDC crank position - done. Then when you are lucky, turn the crank 360 plus 50-4 degrees for front cam gear and it should just slip into mesh at marks. Or so I think to remember , was a year or two ago for first engine.

Vic
P1070934.JPG
P1070932.JPG

erik

VOC Member
I made this tool to avoid fighting against the power of the valve springs .And you can leave the ufm in situ.Gruss Erik

Attachments

• IMG_7549[1].JPG
    IMG_7549[1].JPG
    714.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_7551[1].JPG
    IMG_7551[1].JPG
    390.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_7552[1].JPG
    IMG_7552[1].JPG
    382 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_7553[1].JPG
    IMG_7553[1].JPG
    401.3 KB · Views: 60

vibrac

VOC Member
Neat tool! quite enough for road use and who wants to lift the ufm however it cannot be as spot on as gauges on valve stems

oexing

VOC Member
Erik, your idea looks quite useful when changing components in the timing side with engine in "frame". Allright with engines and no ratio in rocker lengths, no way to do that in Horex Regina, different cam lifts due to different rocker ratios. But best way is to mark timing gears and corresponding marks on engine case - unless you change cams and gears so you´d need new marks.

Vic

erik

VOC Member
In this case I have changed the camshaft because a Megacycle "racing" camshaft was mounted.I changed back to standard.To my mind better for a roadgoing Vincent. Erik