The Most Original Black Lightning on the Planet?

litnman

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Did Dunlop stamp rims used on Lightnings? I have a 20" and a 21" wheel
which is identical to wheels on another Lightning. Neither have any stamping on them.

davidd

VOC Member
Did Dunlop stamp rims used on Lightnings? I have a 20" and a 21" wheel
which is identical to wheels on another Lightning. Neither have any stamping on them.

John Bland was the gentleman that was responsible for ordering parts from suppliers. He told me that Dunlop was extremely careful about marking their products with a brand and place of origin. Based on his recollection I always believed that if Dunlop made it, it was marked. I asked him about the unmarked low shoulder aluminum rims on Flashes and Lightnings. He could not remember the supplier, but did remember that they were in Italy. He also ordered rims from Boranni and said so. Thus, he was not confusing the rims he was ordering from Boranni with the low shoulder rims. Boranni seemed to follow the British rules on trademarks. It may have been due to their long association with Rudge wheels.
cycledaytonavincent5.jpg

This is my bike at Daytona in 1953. The low shouldered rims are front and rear. A quick look and you could mistake them for steel.

David

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
John Bland was the gentleman that was responsible for ordering parts from suppliers. He told me that Dunlop was extremely careful about marking their products with a brand and place of origin. Based on his recollection I always believed that if Dunlop made it, it was marked. I asked him about the unmarked low shoulder aluminum rims on Flashes and Lightnings. He could not remember the supplier, but did remember that they were in Italy. He also ordered rims from Boranni and said so. Thus, he was not confusing the rims he was ordering from Boranni with the low shoulder rims. Boranni seemed to follow the British rules on trademarks. It may have been due to their long association with Rudge wheels.
View attachment 31970
This is my bike at Daytona in 1953. The low shouldered rims are front and rear. A quick look and you could mistake them for steel.

David

As I did with litnman’s bike in the picture he provided. So maybe a third supplier that’s interesting.

aluminiumbronze

VOC Member
View attachment 31970

David
Hi David, I have also heard the low shouldered alloy rims referred to as Pre Dunlop’s as in in Dunlop’s but not stamped, I have a set of these in the shed, I got them from Reg Hint who said they came to him on Alec Corners Rapide which he owned for many years

litnman

VOC Member
These are unstamped rims on a Lightning which I believe are original to the bike.

Attachments

• FRONT .JPG
    FRONT .JPG
    548.3 KB · Views: 53
  • REAR.JPG
    REAR.JPG
    264.6 KB · Views: 53

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
This is a picture taken at the California rally in 81 ? That is Rollie Free on his personal Lightning. It was then owned by Nick Pierce. It is indeed probably the best survivor out there. Only used once.
Yes, the Bass Lake 1980 rally.

Used more than once. Rollie took his own Lightning to Bonneville multiple years.