The Most Original Black Lightning on the Planet?

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Very strange: Rims seem to have differing diameter on the foto?!

Well, the smaller wheel on the right says "3.50 X 20", so I suspect that they are the same size. The low shoulder alloy rim on the left tends to look bigger because the shoulder is smaller than that of the Borrani rim. Both were supplied as stock rims on Lightnings and Grey Flashes. Sometimes one of each like the Burns & Wright bike. Brand names of rims were usually not indicated on the work orders even if the Avon brand racing tires were often specified.

David

Montlhery

VOC Member
Burns & Wright Wheels  1.jpg

Cyborg

VOC Member
Looks like an alloy FT5 without the bit sticking up for the FT132 etc.
Also FT23/2 in alloy? Surprised to see them on there regardless of what they are made of? Speaking of what they are made of... I'll wager its not 7075. Anyone know what alloy they used for the G50?

Last edited:

Little Honda

Non-VOC Member
Am I right, when I see a steel rim at the rear wheel and a flanged alloy rim at the front? Both have tyre bolts
fitted with balance weights fixed by tape. Did they use these very low tyre pressures from the road bike
manuals also for record attempts at Montlhery? Also interesting: The rear sprocket looks smaller in dia. than
the brake drum. So only one rear drum fitted.

Canadiancomet

VOC Member
Looks like an alloy FT5 without the bit sticking up for the FT132 etc.
Also FT23/2 in alloy? Surprised to see them on there regardless of what they are made of? Speaking of what they are made of... I'll wager its not 7075. Anyone know what alloy they used for the G50?
CYBORG Are Ken C? If so I hear you may travel to Manitoba this summer. If so I hope the Golden Boys can buy you lunch and have a visit. Sorry to hijack the thread. I will add that I know the Len hardy Vincent Lightning well and we will in the future tell it's story when Barry S and I sit down for a chin wag..

davidd

VOC Member
The Burns & Wright bike has two aluminum rims. Most Lightnings did, although the rims could be of two different makes. The Factory did supply high tensile steel rims. These were usually noted on the Works Order Form in some way and seem to be special order for sidecar work or if the purchaser felt the steel rim would be more suitable.

I don't know what tire pressures they ran for speed work. I always ran the maximum allowable pressure to keep the tires cool. Somewhere around 60 lbs. I am sure they followed the manufacturer's instructions.

The H57 sprocket adapter for replacing the brake drum was available for Lightnings. This allowed the use of smaller sprockets for very high speeds.

David