The Long Road Back

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Last year my Series B petrol tank sprang a paint bubble near the LHS fuel tap. It was "repaired" in 1998 by a friend. He used Devcon and other stuff and the tank looked really good for twenty years. What to do? Strip it, weld and braze it, pressure test and repeat. Several times. Then put a high quality seat inside the tank, properly. Then paint. That was the hard part. After a lot of hours invested into the tank I did NOT want to mess up the paint. There were so many articles on paint lines, transfers (decals) and finishes I was left more confused. The original tanks around the club are great for positioning of lines etc. but the shade of Gold is well faded. I used Jacqueline's book and the Whitakerpedia article to make a decision. These are the results. The issue I had was the "lines" of the lines because the tank is not flat when painting and lining. I hope this has been resolved when I fit it to the bike. Not real gold I hasten to add.
IMG_1173.jpeg
IMG_1174.jpeg
IMG_1179.jpeg
IMG_1176.jpeg

Last edited:

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Very nice. The Vincent has one of the most attractive tank shapes ever made.
Who was responsible for the design?

Glen

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Alyn, so long as you like it, that's all that is necessary apart from er indoors opinion.
My "B" tank had to be redone in 2001 (ice high sided on bend) but previous to that it was 1970 but done by Brian Dees who did many a Concours machine and was Conway Motors choice, I only stipulated that the back of the HRD panel was the same shape as the front although I should have given him the tank cover to follow the stitching pattern as I had previously painted & lined (in gold leaf) 3/8" wide parallel to HRD panel staying on the small radius of the tank.
That's how I like it, & Christine does too.
IMG_1358.jpg