T: Fuel Tank TAPS

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
For years I have used 'gas taps' on the racers and road bikes
upload_2017-10-2_12-25-5.png

They don't look original but they have always worked well compared to the corky ones of my earlier days especially with the unidentifiable petrol we have in the UK today. However I have just put two new ones on the Egli Comet I am building, and having been caught many times before with initial petrol leaks, I carry out a 'leak down' test for a day before starting the plot. Next day leakage was evident which I tracked to the taps and on reducing the system to just the taps after a few minutes one was dry but the other had a drip, a small but annoying one,and a further day of exposure to the supposedly ethanol laced petrol (who knows?) has not reduced the leakage. Are they completely non-adjustable? have I just got a Friday one? what is your experience?

stu spalding

VOC Member
I used the same taps, if you look inside the female end you should see a hex socket for adjusting the tension on the seals. I fitted the male end to the tank and made a banjo for the female end, this avoids the fuel line running into the rear inlet rocker cap. I've had no problem with modern fuels. Cheers, Stu.

vibrac

VOC Member
well you learn something every day!
tightened it up, back under test says something for their quality control fitted loads of these over the years and never needed to even think about adjusting them - thanks stu