ET: Engine (Twin) TAMING A BIG BORE

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
After its hard work over the last few years and recently in the IOM I need to refresh my road Comet now my thoughts are to use one of the big bore barrels I had on the racer (before it dawned on me that we got more points for coming second with a 500 than first with an 600 in our class ;)) trouble is, in deference to the fact there is still no electric start for a Comet I want a compression ratio of around 8:1 or lower and all the 90 bore pistons I have are like small models of the Alps. I know I can add packers under the barrel but that soon exposes bore above piston and not a way that is my first choice. Has anyone used a more flat top piston off something else?

stu spalding

VOC Member
After its hard work over the last few years and recently in the IOM I need to refresh my road Comet now my thoughts are to use one of the big bore barrels I had on the racer (before it dawned on me that we got more points for coming second with a 500 than first with an 600 in our class ;)) trouble is, in deference to the fact there is still no electric start for a Comet I want a compression ratio of around 8:1 or lower and all the 90 bore pistons I have are like small models of the Alps. I know I can add packers under the barrel but that soon exposes bore above piston and not a way that is my first choice. Has anyone used a more flat top piston off something else?
Mac Reed put an electric starter on a Comet. That's all I know. Cheers, Stu.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Paul Hamon is going back onto the case for a Comet starter I found out 10 days ago when there picking up two Alton generators, new castings have been done of the back primary case and machined for the conversion kit.
ALTON <alton-france@orange.fr>.
Ask him your self, he might hurry up if people keep asking after them, he knows I want one ! some thing to do with doggy knees.
bananaman

vibrac

VOC Member
Tim,
What pistons do you have?
The Omega with my 90 bore had lots of crown thickness so it could be machined to give about 8.2:1 CR

Neil
My 90 bore piston has a cartouche shaped depression on the centre underside of the crown so no shaving allowed
however in spite of what I said about packers it occurs to me that on a 90mm bore just 1mm of packing gives me 6cc of compression space (about 1cc per 6thou) so not far till I reach non straining kick ratios and I can chamfer that bore edge near the inlet to off set the power loss better I suppose than using some 90 bore car piston