Suitable adhesive for kneegrips

mercurycrest

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I've checked this morning and my tank has a brass boss soldered to each side of the tank. I had presumed that there was a strut inside the tank and these bosses were there to fix the strut to the tank sides. Each boss has seven holes: the central one appears to receive the end of a stud (this I had assumed was the internal strut but I've now checked and there is no such strut), two holes are tapped 1/4 BSF and the other four holes are filled with solder. This tank therefore has two holes for affixing the plate which prevents the rotation problem.

I should have realised that the rubbers were affixed to plates because I have a Velocette KTS (awaiting restoration!) which has the same plates still fitted to the petrol tank. I had also acquired kneepads for the Velo and they are the same size as the HRD ones, so I have just ordered a pair of Velo ones from Grove Classic Motorcycles for about £10 each. Result!

PS Grove Classic Motorcycles is a very useful source for all those proprietary parts which are common to Vincents and Velocettes and which are not stocked by VOCSC.

You could have ordered "Vincent- HRD knee pads.

If you need, I've traced the outline of the plate and boss. Just PM me a mailing address and I'll send it to yo.
Cheers,
John

IMG_1563.JPGIMG_1559.JPGIMG_1563.JPGIMG_1555.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1557.JPG
    IMG_1557.JPG
    336.4 KB · Views: 31

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
My pre Series A has the same knee grip plate boss soldered to the tank. It only has one boss per knee grip (oval John Bull ones) and the plate is done up nice and tight before the rubbers are fitted. No need to puncture/damage the knee grip rubber in order to fit and no messy glue.

Albervin

VOC Member
On my New Imperial I just aligned the plate, locked it up with the nut and gently/forcefully eased the rubber on with silicone grease. On my "A" I had no knee rubbers as it was a Comet Special tank.