T: Fuel Tank storage fuel, avoiding ethanol problems

highbury731

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I was watching Harry's Garage year review:

At 20:24, he mentions Anglo American Oil Co having a product Storage Plus Fuel, which is 99 RON and guaranteed not to change for min. 3 years. This might ease winter storage issues, and could be used for shorter lay-ups.

Disclaimers, no connection to the maker, and haven't tried it but looks interesting.

vibrac

VOC Member
A bit easier you can go to your local lawmower center and buy ASPEN 4 stroke and two stroke petrol a slop of that in the tank over winter does the job And my chain saw thats always been a bast***d starts easily at last on the 2 stroke next target is my Scott!

squiggles

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Great tip Vibrac.
Thanks
I've just looked at Aspen website:-

The advantages:
  • No expensive repair bills caused by stale fuel
  • Your machine always starts and is ready to go, even after long standstill periods
  • Lasts for years without deterioration
  • Aspen does not contain ethanol
  • Virtually odourless
  • Less maintenance and a longer machine life
Practical tips when switching to Aspen for storage:
  • Before changing fuel you should run the fuel tank as low as possible on the last use.
  • Once filled with Aspen fuel continue to use or run the machine for long enough to ensure it has worked through the fuel system. Doing this will eradicate stale fuel issues and the machine can be stored away for long periods of time.
  • After the first few hours from the fuel switch, visually inspect the machine for any fuel leaks.

Mike 40M

VOC Member
My Norton 16H stood unused for 5 years with Aspen4 (95RON) in the tank in the barn. Forgot to retard ignition on first kick. Kicked back. Lowered it and it started on second kick.
Have the routine to make last two fillings with Aspen on all 10 running bikes before winter hibernation.
The four race bikes always drink Aspen+ (98RON) or Aspen R (102RON).

Jonathan Lambley

VOC Machine Researcher
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I find the easiest thing to do over winter is just drain your fuel from the carbs and tank and chuck it in the car. Put fresh fuel in after winter and away you go. Seems simple to me, compared to all this additive melarchy.

vibrac

VOC Member
Ah what to do about old petrol when all around you that dont matter (cars) are diesel?
I should worry there is that spare full jerry can of methanol in the corner it must be 6 years old....