Series ‘A’ Silencer Bracket

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am in need of a Series A Silencer Bracket. I've emailed Steve at Conways and await a response.

Meanwhile, I got thinking about making one, but it's by no means easy. It starts with a foot long piece of steel strip 1 inch wide and over 1/4 inch thick. Bending it the conventional way is not so bad. But imagine placing the strip flat on the bench and bending the ends downwards to say a 30 degree angle, that isn't so easy. And yet they did it at the Vincent factory 85 years ago, so it must be possible (without weakening or cracking it). Any ideas how to do it in the home workshop? Or does anyone happen to have one spare?

I've attached a couple of photos of a loaned one so you can see what I'm talking about. (The inch square HSS is there purely to hold it down at one end so you can see the wacky shape).

Peter B

Attachments

• P1080796.JPG
    P1080796.JPG
    302.1 KB · Views: 49
  • P1080797.JPG
    P1080797.JPG
    298 KB · Views: 52

timetraveller

VOC Member
From the elevation picture I think that I could do that by hand and a well mounted vice. One just needs an original to get the angles right. The plan view is less clear as to whether there are bends at right angles to the flat surface. It there are then any 'blacksmith should be able to do those. Are there any curves to fit round the silencer. From the photographs it looks to me as though there are three flats?

Bikerjoan

VOC Member
I am in need of a Series A Silencer Bracket. I've emailed Steve at Conways and await a response.

Meanwhile, I got thinking about making one, but it's by no means easy. It starts with a foot long piece of steel strip 1 inch wide and over 1/4 inch thick. Bending it the conventional way is not so bad. But imagine placing the strip flat on the bench and bending the ends downwards to say a 30 degree angle, that isn't so easy. And yet they did it at the Vincent factory 85 years ago, so it must be possible (without weakening or cracking it). Any ideas how to do it in the home workshop? Or does anyone happen to have one spare?

I've attached a couple of photos of a loaned one so you can see what I'm talking about. (The inch square HSS is there purely to hold it down at one end so you can see the wacky shape).

Peter B
Peter, thanks for raising this post & for the photos. Ive also been looking for one of these brackets for some time & would be keen to hear if they could be made available. Jon C

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Hi Peter.

I took pictures of the one on my twin and made measurements and the lot for someone to make one, ( I thought perhaps Bill Irwin) but despite a thorough search of my files and e mails I can seem to find no record of it. That picture "appears" to be quite a bit different than mine. Is it for your twin project, are they different from a single with the frame being a bit longer?

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Peter
I made mine 10 years ago. 1st attempt I got it red hot and as you say the side to side bend is not a problem, but bending through the other axis weakened and cracked several attempts so in the end I deliberately cut half way through, bent it when red hot and then welded the gap up after. The bracket has been on the bike for 10 years and has not been a problem (and yes the bike is used).

Simon

A_HRD

VOC Member
Wow, thanks for all the replies already. Taking one at a time:

Timetraveller: The bracket is roughly horizontal when fitted and held under the gearbox by two 1/2 inch studs at one end. Bends in both axes are around 30 degrees (haven't measured them yet). The end with a single hole takes a huge chrome inverted P-Clip that clamps around the silencer - that's easy to fabricate. Blacksmiths - do they exist anymore?!

Bikerjoan: Jon, thanks, I'll keep you in the loop...

Robert: I sympathise, I know the feeling; these pesky iCloud things have a lot to answer for - so do ageing brain-cells! Now you've got me worried; I surmised (I know - never do that) that the Single and Twin variant would be identical in this regard; or if not, then insufficiently different to matter given that it's not super-critical where the P-Clip lies on the silencer.

vin998: Simon, thanks for that; I was thinking along similar lines. What I need to do first is compare the "loaner" I have with another bracket. Fortunately, the Mid-Glos Lot have a few As that I can peruse...

Peter B

Robert Watson

VOC Member
The one on my A twin is about 16 inches long and puts the P clip just slightly ahead of the rear footrest. If you look at World Motor Cycles Vincent-HRD by Peter Carrick on page 23 although it is not very good of this particular piece you can see the P clip is just ahead or even just under the rear footrest.
it is loaded to take to the Lynden show for Saturday but when it comes home I could take it off and see if I can give you enough measurements to make one.

Robert

20140904_085449.jpg

greg brillus

VOC Member
I've just sent 2 off to the paint shop.......An original off a single and a replica for a twin. I would say the originals were probably done in some kind of rollers to get that shape. It is also worth noting that the pipe is supported by another band style clamp immediately bellow the rear of the kick start cover on the gearbox. This clamp arrangement is also attached to this same muffler bracket via a 5/16" diameter hole just behind the two 1/2" holes that mount the bracket to the lower engine/gearbox plates. I'm only going off pictures I've seen of these in Bickerstaff's "Original Vincent" that clearly shows the band clamp. Without this the exhaust system will shake sideways quite badly, and this will loosen the joint at the exhaust stub. All of this is important as the clearance for the kickstart levers is affected by this.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Blacksmiths can still be found in country areas where people have horses. They might not be called 'blacksmiths' anymore but there is normally someone around who can make bits for a tractor at short notice etc. I can think of two within about ten miles of me who do general machining, welding etc and this is south east England, one of the most urbanised parts of the UK.

Dinny

VOC Member
Hi Peter,

Very interesting as I’m also looking for one. If you feel like making a batch.......:)

Cheers
Mark