Mudguards/Chainguard/Headlamp Stays Series ‘A’ Comet Rear Wheel Chainguard - Any Alternative Ideas?

BlackLightning998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Evening All,

Well I have to tell you this forum website and its membership have been absolutely superb in providing detailed, knowledgeable and friendly help/guidance as well as uncovering some parts to help complete the restoration of "Anthony" my 1938 HRD Series A Comet. Thanks to all.

So...the last large piece that apparently is missing is the rear chainguard.

So looking for advice from the Forum once again for anyone who has had this issue themselves and how they overcame it, where a chainguard can be sourced, which bike has a similar chainguard that can be modified and of course if someone has a spare one sitting under the bench then that would be hitting the jackpot one more time.

I've tried Conways without joy. Nothing from the Spares Company either.

Regards

Stuart

John Reynolds

VOC Member
Hi Stuart

I was faced with this problem but luckily someone had made up a batch of A chainguards and I was lucky enough to get one (thank you Peter!)

However, I had been developing an alternative solution before this lucky providence. I had noted that the rear section of a post war chainguard is identical in shape to the one fitted to the A. I had even bought a C Comet chainguard and had cut the brackets off but had not got round to shortening it nor making up the new brackets but it did seem to be a viable way of solving the problem.

John

delboy

VOC Member
If you acquire an old chainguard or indeed make a new one, be aware of the same problem as post-war when fitting.

In their haste, many people fit their mudguards and lifting handle which is okay, until they try fitting the chainguard.

The Series 'A' chainguard has a fixed bracket at the front and a welded in nut at the rear to bolt to the lifting handle. If you have already fitted the mudguards and lifting handle; nine times out of ten, the rear fixing will not meet the lifting handle correctly and some sort of unsightly link will have to be made. (Or weld up the holes in your mudguard and move your lifting handle!)

Think ahead folks, and dry run.

delboy.

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
If you acquire an old chainguard or indeed make a new one, be aware of the same problem as post-war when fitting.

In their haste, many people fit their mudguards and lifting handle which is okay, until they try fitting the chainguard.

The Series 'A' chainguard has a fixed bracket at the front and a welded in nut at the rear to bolt to the lifting handle. If you have already fitted the mudguards and lifting handle; nine times out of ten, the rear fixing will not meet the lifting handle correctly and some sort of unsightly link will have to be made. (Or weld up the holes in your mudguard and move your lifting handle!)

Think ahead folks, and dry run.

delboy.
Much appreciated - thank you.