Series ‘A’ Brake Light Switch

Bikerjoan

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Id like to ask other owners, What type of rear brake light switch are fitted to their machines ? & mounting details.
I was fortunate to find a Miller switch which I presume is pre war & quite rectangular in shape for my Meteor.
I have recently located another round switch probably pre war without a makers name, just fitted to a Comet.

The switch offered by http://www.rudge.parts/electrical-equipment.html looks like a good option if anyone wants to avoid plastic more modern looking options.

Some photos attached.

Thanks
Jon

Last edited:

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
As the series A's were never fitted with a brake light I decided to hide the brake switch and so mount it under the front of the RFM. On my Comet the brake cross shaft is exposed underneath so I attached a bracket to the cross shaft and mounted a brake switch to the bracket and so when operating the brake, the cross over shaft rotates and so operates the brake light. A second bracket attached to the mudguard mounting has an adjustable stop which is a 1/4" bolt so the switch operation can be adjusted. As the switch is not visible you can adapt whatever switch you wish. Below are some photos, but it is a bit difficult to show what I did.
Simon
IMG_3148.jpg

Bikerjoan

VOC Member
As the series A's were never fitted with a brake light I decided to hide the brake switch and so mount it under the front of the RFM. On my Comet the brake cross shaft is exposed underneath so I attached a bracket to the cross shaft and mounted a brake switch to the bracket and so when operating the brake, the cross over shaft rotates and so operates the brake light. A second bracket attached to the mudguard mounting has an adjustable stop which is a 1/4" bolt so the switch operation can be adjusted. As the switch is not visible you can adapt whatever switch you wish. Below are some photos, but it is a bit difficult to show what I did.
Simon
View attachment 26642

Thanks for that Simon, an interesting & practical solution.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I hid a Japanese one under there and made a simple adjustable arm that is set on the cross shaft with a set screw, and To quote an old nursery rhyme, "and nobody knew they were there!"

vincenttwin

VOC Member
Simon
View attachment 26642
Some where I saw a HRD sales leaflet and it had a extra price for rear brake light , so I would say they were fitted , what year in the UK did motor vehicles have to be sold with rear brake lights 1931?

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Some where I saw a HRD sales leaflet and it had a extra price for rear brake light , so I would say they were fitted , what year in the UK did motor vehicles have to be sold with rear brake lights 1931?
My guess would be 1937, which is when speedometers became compulsory. I am sure someone will come up with the correct answer if this is wrong.