Misc: Speedometers Replacing Trip Odometer Reset Shaft

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
With my JE steering stem, the reset shaft on my Shadow clock is too short to twist conveniently. I have had it off and on many years ago, but I don't remember some details. I bought a new 5" long shaft and am ready to install, but the internal shaft is spring-loaded and has pulled back into the housing. I don't see how to pull it out to expose the tapped hole in it for the little screw that connects the outer shaft to it. Any suggestions?

I don't need to, but I also can't see how to get the works out. The cable connection on the back and this reset internal shaft trap it in place. It is probably easy, but I don't see it.

erik

VOC Member
When I opened my 5 inch instrument the intenal spring loaded shaft snaps on the outer position. It was possible to pull it out with plieers and fit the tiny screw again!Erik

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I will see how that goes, thanks.

I am wondering if I pulled the needle off and the face when I had the works out 30? years ago?

bmetcalf

VOC Member
The above worked for enabling me to pull out the works (which turned out to be unnecessary). I couldn't see how to use Erik's technique for attaching the extension, but I saw that the lever attached to the reset shaft could be depressed to extend the shaft and let me install the little screw to connect my new 5" long shaft extension. I had the works bolted in to the case with the face and needle off. The black sheath on the extension is a little big and rubs the case slightly and I have to push the shaft up to get the gears fully engaged. I don't want to pull the needle off again, so I'll see if I can carve a little bit off the black sheath without any dismantling.