E: Engine Rapide Serie B 1949

Michel

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Greetings to all,
I have two questions about Rapide Serie B:
1. What is the exact angle formed by the two cylinders (this is for magneto adjustment) ?
2. Are petrol and oil hoses smooth or of the type herring bone as Serie C ?

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Nominally 50 degrees. Therefore rear cylinder, (Number one) should be timed at about 35° BTDC on compression then 410° after that, front cylinder should fire. I recall that at some stage in the distant past slight errors were found in the cylinder angle on some machines. As far as I know, herring bone hoses and uncrimped ferrules were the most common fitment; anyway, that is what is illustrated in my series "B" Parts List.

davidd

VOC Member
Chankly is on the mark, except for the oil and gas lines. As far as I can see from original photos and original parts, the lines were smooth. John Bland, who ordered the parts supplies for Vincent, purchased herringbone material sometime in the 50s, I would guess in 1952 and that became the material that most owners believed was always in use.

2749 05.PNG

This photo is a 1950 model Black Lightning at Earl's Court showing smooth oil and fuel lines. The Factory installed whatever John was able to order and it may have changed from time to time over the years depending on the supplies.

David

Michel

VOC Member
Thank you for your information.
Smooth hoses are easier to find and it’s so much the better.
Greeting from Belgium.

Albervin

VOC Member
Smooth hoses were used with the Series A macines plus the unique knurled ferrules. Post war there were changes made that were not documented. This was the case with many motorcycles and cars. I have a Riley that is very similar to early Series C Vincents in that there are fittings that pertain to both the earlier and later models. I actually had a bit of a stand-up with a "tool" who told me the seats in my Riley were wrong!! As it was a National Rally he was out-voted. If anyone can state which engine number herringbone pipes became "standard" I would be interested.