Pinks

Hugo Myatt

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Which London dealers had the outside alloy painted red or orange? Both sides of the road? My place to visit was Monty and Wards they sold me a 1951 7R AJS all road registered for 50 quid with push bike lights rode it for a year bump started it everywhere. Proper caff racer no chequer tape or studed leathers needed. Those posers down 'the bike shed' make me smile.
Pride and Clarke, Brixton, had shops on both side of the road. The shop fronts were painted red.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I can't think how or why I got to Pinks, It was before I had a Motorcycle.
I lived about 5 miles away at the time.
Funny how some things drive you Mad.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Pinks had a forecourt in front of the shop, which was a customary meeting place for motorcylists and bikes to gather on Saturday mornings.
I never went then, I should have worded that different, I had a 250 BSA Ron gave me when I was 14 !,
For 2 years had to wait, I rebuilt it and polished the c/cases.

alan wright

VOC Member
Keith Pattendon ??, My spelling is getting worse, If that's possible !.
Funny , He came on here a long while ago.
Peter, If you had come round the corner, I may have served you myself, At Aitchanbee Motorcycles.
Unless I had already gone to MLG, BMW's, Or Conways, Shepherds Bush.
I got about !!.
Bonjour Bill, I see that you worked at MLG in Chiswick and wondered if you were there when they took a BMW R69S to Montlhery in 1961 to try to obtain the 12 hour and 24 hour records, only to be beaten by a week by Velocette, one of the Velo team being our very own Bruce Main-Smith. As an aside, the "L" of MLG was Charles Lock and I was a mate of his son John when I was involved in selling Porsche parts and John was racing a 911.
He was instrumental in restoring a B Rapide when I brought 2 Argentinian wrecks back from Weisbaden, Germany in 1990, keeping one for myself ( Peron's Revenge !) and selling one to Porsche racing preparer Paul Edwards.
Best regards, Alan

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Greetings Alan, ca va, :) I can't spell in English, So I had better stop :).
I have a Step Daughter and 3 Boys in the French Alps.

I was too young !, Not said that for a bit,
Must have been 1965 ish when I worked for Charlie, Funny I was only saying to the Wife the other day about Charlie and could not remember his second name, I spotted a new red BMW Sports Car, Looked a bit like the one Charlie had back then, Sort of E Type, Super looking Car.
When I was there we had " Works " !! Production Race Bikes on site,
And Me being Me !, Hammered a Standard BM Twin up the Mews, With no Silencers on it, It did sound nice !,
Charlie thought I had got one of the racers out !!, He was not happy.
They didn't like me there anyway, My Twin Vincent outfit was always parked at the end of the Mews,
It drew too much attension from his BMW Customers.
It's a Small World, Have Fun, Bill.

turiya

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
An advert taken from the original Richardson 'Vincent' book. Do any owners remember this showroom?

Vincent
Good day to all. I am not a member of your organisation but my Dad was Ken Barker, the service manager at Pinks. I spent many Saturdays in the workshop behind that showroom, even when they (sadly in my opinion) switched to cars. There was also the parts store, with a small shopfront showroom on the other side of the road.

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Good day to all. I am not a member of your organisation but my Dad was Ken Barker, the service manager at Pinks. I spent many Saturdays in the workshop behind that showroom, even when they (sadly in my opinion) switched to cars. There was also the parts store, with a small shopfront showroom on the other side of the road.
The forecourt of Pinks of Harrow was a Saturday morning meeting place for local motorcyclists until the police eventually moved us on.