ET: Engine (Twin) Pilot jet

Status
Not open for further replies.

erik

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I want to let you know that brand new concentric mk1 are availiable .They have an altered Pilot Jet System.I ordered a pair today at surrey cycles. when they arrive i will post Fotos.Erik

vibrac

VOC Member
I hope to see Surrey Cycles next week about some real carbs while I am there I will speak about the pilot mods you never know he may change my opinion on the jokes concentric carb :)

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
To alter the Level in the float chamber of a concentric mk1 is best done by altering the height of the valve seat in the bowl.You can press it out and Fitting different rings und it or milling the small flange more narrow.I hope you know what I mean.Erik
With the new AMAL concentric Mk1's they come with the stay-up float that has a stainless steel tang that can be bent to adjust the float level. OVR #67 (in the OVR archives) has a detailed article on Mk1 float levels and OVR #69 talks at length about setting the needle height as well.

Martyn

erik

VOC Member
IMG_5027.JPG

oexing

VOC Member
Well, my choice would be the pre-monobloc - for great looks. But then , prices are a bit high - well, not so much when looking at Vincent spares and values of bikes.
When looks are not a factor but reliable operation, have a look into Aliexpress, amazingly low price offers, even Mikuni styles. Or try those power jet types, semi flat slide construction. I had one of these on the bench, not too bad, really. But we have not tried one on the road, sets of jets a tenner.

Vic
28 mm "Mikuni"

28 mm power jet

38 mm power jet carb:

P1070438.JPG

P1070417.JPG

P1070442.JPG

erik

VOC Member
With the new concentric mk1 I hope to have the best of two worlds: outlook and function.I dont like the plastic parts and plastic tubing on the Mikunis and similar carbs.The price is a little bit secundary because the carbs ,and especially the premier ones,last for years.Best regards Erik

oexing

VOC Member
Actually even Bing carbs - and Amal Mk 2s - had these plastic hoses from the seventies onwards and I hated this even then. But really the only function is to vent the float chamber. So I had a close look at the China carb above in my photos and yes, you can cut all connections and bin the hoses. Seems this is an environmental thing since for all these vents.
I have not tried one of these , not for a Vincent of course. But I guess these will work - unlike some dated Amals, as you will know better from own experience. After all, Chinese or Japanese companies have a LOT more knowledge about engines compared to all other worldwide companies as they have produced many , many more millions of bikes in three decades than all other brands added up from day one of Benz or Daimler ´s times.

Vic

Status
Not open for further replies.