Old UK buff logbooks for Vincents

Jonathan Lambley

VOC Machine Researcher
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
We know members hoard books, leaflets and old documents. We all do it to a certain degree.
Both Simon and I are really interested in the old UK handwritten buff logbooks, which contain valuable information for the VOC Database i.e. address's and dates. They're often the missing piece in the jigsaw.
If you have any, you don't particularly need or want anymore please send them to myself or Simon Dinsdale (Registrar). We will retain them and utilise all the information for the database and might just reunite it with machine and owner one day in the future. If you want to keep them its fine but I'd really appreciate if you could email me a scanned copy so I can update the VOC database with the information.
Drop me an email.
Thanks
Jon Lambley
Email; research998@voc.uk.com

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
I think it would be more rewarding for Simon and yourself Jon to offer to return them after you have retrieved the information for your / our database unless the contributors say otherwise. I have always regretted not writing to DVLA to get mine back as my bike has always been on the road (necessity) DVLA didn't return them one year and nothing was said as to why. Then there were not many bikes being used so a lot of owners never lost them, I remember I was the 6th owner and the man I bought it from but the rest is lost. You might get a better response, just a thought as its part of the bike's history.

Jonathan Lambley

VOC Machine Researcher
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I think it would be more rewarding for Simon and yourself Jon to offer to return them after you have retrieved the information for your / our database unless the contributors say otherwise. I have always regretted not writing to DVLA to get mine back as my bike has always been on the road (necessity) DVLA didn't return them one year and nothing was said as to why. Then there were not many bikes being used so a lot of owners never lost them, I remember I was the 6th owner and the man I bought it from but the rest is lost. You might get a better response, just a thought as its part of the bike's history.
Marcus,
all noted. I wouldn't expect any owner who has the bike and logbook to part with it at all to be honest. I'm thinking about people who have an old logbook that doesnt relate to any of their bikes on their shelves.
Hope that clarifies it
Jon

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Over the last few years I have been sent orphaned documents which has been seperated from their bikes years ago with the intention to hold onto until the bike they belong to surfaces again and in a couple of instances I have managed to reunite paperwork with the bike / current owner. Only recently a rareish bike was reunited with a folder full of original documents.
This all helps owners and is also a great source of info about the bike.

Simon

TouringGodet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Not a logbook, but similar idea. One day I’m in Bill Easter’s garage, and a drawer with books was open, and I noticed he had a couple of Riders Handbooks, the one that has the place inside the front cover to write in your bike’s serial numbers. I recognized the serial number as matching another section members bike. I phoned the other member, and the two of them worked out a swap. The bike in question had gone through a number of owners, and long ago what may have been the original owner gave the book to Bill sometime after selling the bike.