OP: Oil Pump Oil Sumping

Tommy Shields

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Tommy, the original grub screw is a slotted one and generally sits level with or slightly recessed in from the bottom face where it screws into. Make sure the slot is cleaned of dirt and crud, and you are probably best to use an "Impact screw driver" and make one of the blade tips as good a fit in the slot as you can, then with a couple of good "Blows" with a hammer it should come loose. It is usually about 3/8 ths of an inch long, but the cross drilling is higher in the crank case than this. It is hard to say what if any could restrict the flow, but if something from the scavenge trough in the back of the case was big enough, it could happen. You might need to remove the case sump plug and try to flush some kerosine or similar into this hole and see how it flows out the other side once you have the small grub screw removed, and you can also clean up this hole with a small bottle brush or similar. You might be able to flush using some rubber pipe up against the hole and back flush the other way to wash away any restriction. The grub screw would be better replaced with a new one, make sure the hole is clean and free of oil and kero, and wipe a smear of thread sealant on it, then screw it home fully. Cheers and good luck.............Greg.
Hi Greg
I've been told that the grub screw is sometimes longer than 3/8 ths. This can restrict the oil being sucked to the pump. It can also become blocked up. The head of grub screw has been damaged - there is no slot in it. I'm not sure if I'll be able to put a slot in. If not we can left hand tap it and put a bolt in and turn it out. Good luck is needed!
Thanks. Tommy

Martyn Goodwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Martyn
The problem is if I have 2 cups of oil in the sump then the bike becomes hard to start. I have an electric starter fitted. When the sump is drained it starts fine. When the sump has a couple of cup fulls of oil in it the stater struggles to get the engine turning over quick enough to start.
switch to 10W-30 oil. Phil Irving said more motors were destroyed bt heavy oil than thin oil