ET: Engine (Twin) Oil, is there a definitive answer?

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
David, I thank you for your input and knowledge on the subject, so in your opinion, once my flywheels, con rods and big ends are rebuilt correctly
(and I am very confident that they will be) I can continue using Motul 300V 20-60w fully synthetic oil without any fear of further big end failure, as I originally posted, every other component within the engine, and specifically the timing chest components have survived very well indeed using this oil.

The answer is yes. Carleton Palmer began using synthetic oil in his racer about 30 years ago (Mobil 1) and I followed his lead. Neither bike experienced any problems at any time that was due to oil failure. There were some mechanical failures. Specifically, we ran into problems with the hardened washers on either side of the conrod. When the conrod developed side thrust it had the possibility of gouging the hardened washer, which in turn could leave a scar in the hardened washer. The scar would catch on the conrod and cause the washer to turn at high speed. The friction would overheat the oil which would cause failure. We substituted a phosphor bronze washer for the hardened washer. The phosphor bronze washer was much more resistant to "catching" on the conrod if the washer became damaged. I don't think this is necessary on a street bike, but I mention it for full disclosure. Most of the racers use this mod, but the singles are shifting at 7000 RPM.

I think that the other components looked good because there was proper lubrication.

I received a call the other day from my guy who does the flywheels. I had sent him a brand new flywheel and asked him to check it. When he pressed it apart, too easily in his opinion, he found that the timing side conrod clearance was zero and the drive side was fine. The lack of clearance on the timing side already had created a scar. So, it does happen.

David

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I am leaning towards Valvoline VR1, in any event, my last engine rebuild lasted around 35 years, I am nearly 74 years old if you get my drift! I could probably get away with using Duckhams 20-50 oil for a few years like I always used to 50 years ago.

Oh God, I have been out signal for a couple of hours when I was mid typing, just read David’s post, might stick with Motul now.
What does Bill Thomas say “my head hurts”!

Cyborg

VOC Member
I received a call the other day from my guy who does the flywheels. I had sent him a brand new flywheel and asked him to check it. When he pressed it apart, too easily in his opinion, he found that the timing side conrod clearance was zero and the drive side was fine. The lack of clearance on the timing side already had created a scar. So, it does happen.

David
+1
Just thought I should give that a bump.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
+1
Just thought I should give that a bump.
Cyborg, could you please clarify why you bumped Davids last sentence, is that in defence of Sythentic oil, or advice to use mineral oil, or simply to ensure that the flywheels and con rods are put together properly.