ET: Engine (Twin) Odd G1/1 kickstart cover

Ian Savage

VOC Vice President
VOC Member
Anyone know anything about this k/s cover? it appears to be 'original' as in the lettering and general casting on the inside is the same as others I've looked at. But the gear numbers are stamped into spotfaced recesses not cast in as usual. The area where the numbers are appears to have been linished but it is no lower than an original. It comes from a bike supposedly untouched since mid 80's but it is on a Shadow and has no trace of paint so probably not as it came from the factory. Any thoughts?
Ian
20200111_171427.jpg
20200111_171505.jpg

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The numbers on mine are stamped in as well so I think that is normal. That one is missing the N as well. Must make starting a PITA!
That entire boss may have been machined down a bit Y/N? Maybe that accounts for the linishing being no lower. As for why.... the new factory lackey stamped them in the wrong order and in the rush to hide it from the Forman, they forgot the N?

Ian Savage

VOC Vice President
VOC Member
The numbers on mine are stamped in as well so I think that is normal. That one is missing the N as well. Must make starting a PITA!
That entire boss may have been machined down a bit Y/N? Maybe that accounts for the linishing being no lower. As for why.... the new factory lackey stamped them in the wrong order and in the rush to hide it from the Forman, they forgot the N?
None of mine have an 'N' there is a cast notch between 1 and 2 to indicate neutral. The height of the face is 2,3/4" above on the two covers, one stamped and cast, I have been able to measure. Could the pattern have been damaged or worn so could these be late in production?
Ian

Vincent Brake

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Isnt it just a special done by a previous owner?
As you said untouched since 80is.
Lots of time between 50es.

Or have i missed reading something

Cheers?

Ian Savage

VOC Vice President
VOC Member
Hi Vincent,
That is why I asked, the normal cast numbers don't seem to have been machined off. Then why remove them only to put them back? I know there were some covers done with 5 numbers but these were after this bike was laid up.
Ian

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Maybe it was a cover that was finished and sold by Harpers after they purchased the Vincent company and so finished differently.
Simon

Ian Savage

VOC Vice President
VOC Member
Simon
Maybe, but Cyborg has one like it also, I wonder if was something that happend maybe late in production. If so maybe there are a few D owners out here who can have a look.

Alyn
Well, it is on a D but as I said no sign of paint so may not be as factory fitted.
Ian