H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Newby tire and rim question. Also chain question.

ilikevelos

Forum User
VOC Member
I suspect I know the answer to this question but tires and rims are expensive and I don't want to screw it up. I am building two rapides now. The first is a C touring rapide with the usual wm2 x 19 front rim and wm3 x 18 rear rim. The second is a bitsa B rapide that will be built as a bit more of a hot rod with moderate performance deviations. This bike will have conventional alloy fenders.

My questions pertain to the maximum size of tires and rims that will fit under the fenders. I am inclined to use avon roadrider IIs on the touring rapide and would like to use a 110/90-18 on the rear but believe there is insufficient clearance and that therefore I should order the 100/90-18. Can someone please confirm this understanding. Also, on the front I am inclined to order the 100/90-19 but would like a reaction as to whether a 90/90-19 or 3.25 -19 might be preferrable. I prefer the 90/90-19 on the front of a commando as it turns in quicker. What is the prevailing wisdom?

On the Series B, I will not use standard diameter rims and am actually contemplating using shoulderless takasago alloy rims and painting the centers like steel rims. I plan to use an 18 rear and 19 front and would really like to mount continental classic attack tires (these are wonderful tires for /6 beemers and vintage japanese bikes) but do not think they will fit. What is the largest tire that will fit in a series B rfm with alloy fender? The smallest classic attack rear is a 110/90 -18 and I suspect it will not fit, Also, is there any benefit/possibility to running one size wider rims, wm3-19 front and wm4-18 rear and does that cause clearance issues?

I expect your advice will be to run 100/90-19 front on stock wm2-19 on front and 100/90-18 with stock wm3-18 on rear but thought I would explore this before ordering tires/rims.

Lastly, I try to run x-ring chains on even my vintage bikes. I note that some literature specifies a 105 link chain for series b rfms. What is being done by riders here? Can I use a 106 link chain? If so I will run a 520 x-ring with appropriate sprockets. I f not what are series b riders doing?

Thanks in advance.
Michael