T: Fuel Tank New Project

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Note to self, Don't over rev' Vincent's, The cost is too much !.
17 years of Racing, Bound to have a few troubles.
We did try and weld one, But a blow hole came half way up the plug hole.
I think you have to find another ?. Cheers Bill.

davidd

VOC Member
It is a mess. However, it is repairable. I have seen photos of the entire combustion chamber rewelded. The issue is usually one of ease and money. It may simply be a good option to use another head.

I would have said that the problem was something other than revs. A valve hitting a piston due to an insufficient valve pocket, for example. Using a cam that peaks at 6900 on the dyno requires a 7000 redline. The single engines have run that way for years without valve problems. The valve system seems pretty robust.

David

Pushrod Twin

VOC Member
Because it was a rear head on the comet I will go the way to buy a new front head or a good used one.
Ha, I spotted the carburetor on it's side in the first pics, should have guessed. Saw one like that in Australia during the International Rally too. :)

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
My Comet, purchased as a basket case years ago, previously had a rear head. The carb manifold was neatly altered to angle out to the RHS, and the petrol tank had a cutaway added to the right side, so that the carb could be mounted as a mirror image to std, upright. The owner I bought the basket case from had already purchased a front head and patched up the cutaway. I might still have the altered manifold around somewhere.

Spqreddie

VOC Member
This is my new project and I heard that this petrol tank is a tank converted by Fritz Egli in the very early years. Is this true?
May be you can ask him? he might still remember.
Whit these forks, the wheel base and steering angle remain the same?

erik

VOC Member
Now with the input of the machine researcher, this basket case was never on the road or track as I bought it. The forks are definitive Horex ones and here in Germany they were often used to replace other forks especially on the NSU Max. The tank will be treated back to original form by my brother.@ Vincent: What is a cold repair? Regards Erik

Last edited by a moderator:

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Dycomet.nl

They spray with ultrahigh speed little metal parts.
Onto a metal surface.
Well known to make repairs without putting heat into it.

Then use the Hunger cutter to create a new cut for an alubronze seat.

Do not throw the head in bin.
But make a proper paperweight.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

erik

VOC Member
IMG_5239.JPG