Mecum Las Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
There is an answer to the environmental problem and transport, all existing motorcycles cars lorries planes and bulldozers could be made carbon neutral tomorrow
Carbon engineering makes non fossil liquid fuel from CO2 from the air and hydrogen from electrolysis from renewables and it is free from polluting by products. all it needs is for .gov to remove tax from non fossil liquid fuel. The real question is why it's being kept so quiet why shares in the Canadian company are being bought by oil companies, the section on the fuel has been removed to a back page of their web site and they no longer promote it although the cost was down to 100 dollars a barrel engine ready. what's wrong with every country being able to make their own fuel? and what is in the electric car that makes it so desirable for manufacturers and not users or the environment?
I won't even mention the fact that the same process could sequestrate carbon better than any other method I see a deciduous tree will take 100 years to put away a ton
Something very fishy is going on.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
all existing motorcycles cars lorries planes and bulldozers could be made carbon neutral tomorrow ... Carbon engineering makes non fossil liquid fuel from CO2 from the air and hydrogen from electrolysis from renewables and it is free from polluting by products.
There are many potential energy pathways, each with obstacles to overcome. Currently 17% of U.S. energy is renewable, and hydrolysis is 80% efficient, so 13.6% of total energy production could be in the form of hydrogen if all renewable energy were directed that way. Of course, doing so would remove renewables from their present carbon-reducing activities. Ignoring that fact, 28% of total US energy consumption is in transportation, so even if the hydrogen could be converted into liquid fuel with 100% efficiency (which is impossible), it could only provide half the need. But, remember, to do even this would require diverting all the renewable energy presently being produced. The only energy available to make up that deficit would be non-renewables, for a net gain of zero.

Only if/when renewables take on a much larger role would any scheme to convert some of that energy to synthesizing liquid fuel reduce the amount of carbon in the atmosphere.

Cyborg

VOC Member
I can issue you with a new engine number if one is required or you just want to uniquely identify a new engine. The new engine numbers are in the format F10AB/5/12### where /5/ signifies new replica crankcases and the 12### is the next avaliable sequential number. Note all new numbers are in the 12,000 plus range so well above where the Vincent factory stopped.

Simon
Thanks. I vaguely remember reading something on this site about issuing numbers. My plan is to not bother with an engine number as it’s not a requirement for registration etc. Once the bike is ready to roll, I’ll send you the UFM number etc along with the case mating numbers and other distinguishing “marks” just so it’s on record.
The only questions that ever arose about engine numbers that I’m aware of was when the local constabulary was trying to verify suspicious looking vehicle identification numbers. They would bring us the engine number and ask us to do a record search to see what vehicle it was originally installed in and verify it jived with the VIN. The crooks were getting fairly good at replicating VIN tags, but the never bothered to study the manual and learn how the numbers were arrived at. You’d see things like a 5 door Civic when one didn’t exist.

Could be a while before I really get started on this thing... plus I’m supposed to be busy slapping lipstick and upholstery on the Comet.
One of the first jobs will be sorting out a smaller small idler so there is actually some backlash between the small idler and the cam.
5A3CEBC0-0E36-4792-8292-BAE0E3F20F39.jpeg

Cyborg

VOC Member
try an undersized half time pinion......done this before and it works fine.

Thanks Greg. I discovered that half time pinions worked when I picked up another breather out of the bin and the gear had 5 keyways cut in it. The gear on this breather has ET49/11 stamped on it (no keyways). Not sure if they used odd numbers back in the day. VOC Spared doesn't list a small idler for the series D, just the spindle? Anyway... With a clear head and steady hands, I'll dig out the pins and see what it measure out to.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Good one Greg, I didn't think of that when I had trouble with my Special a few years ago,
Bit worried about not enough clearance, It's free, But I like a bit of slack,
I don't want another stripped fibre pinion, That was a long PUSH !.

greg brillus

VOC Member
I had some real grief years ago on a "B" shadow engine that someone had reclaimed a badly worn front cam spindle bore...........They had cleaned up the hole and installed a bronze sleeve and then the new spindle, trouble was the spindle was down about half a mm from its original location. Not only did I have to use an undersized large idler and slightly smaller cam pinions, I had to use a minus 10 half time pinion on the breather to gain some backlash for the magneto gear..........This was on a show restored bike mind you. The major troubles didn't end there either.......... I remember when the owner showed up with it, he started it up complete with thongs on his feet........ The engine sounded like a worn out Black and Decker drill, the whining coming from the timing chest was amazing...... what with everything meshing sooooo tight.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
This is no longer about Mecum Auction. There are too many different "threads in here. Someone choose a new thread subject from this jumble of topics.please.

Status
Not open for further replies.