Manual mag conversion

Ken Tidswell

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am contemplating converting a comet mag to manual operation, without butchering the mag cowl.
As i see it I will need a left or right handed manual end cover to do the job. I suspect that a right handed item causes it to foul the mag cover when fitted upside down. a left handed conversion seems to be the answer this will cover part of the oil filter chamber when fitted, will this be a problem ? Any information will help, i know it will have to be slack wire advance , I have been told i need a
Royal Enfield component to achieve tight wire advance, which are as rare as genuine Victors ...
Ken Tidswell

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
A manual mag should have slack wire full advance , not taut wire . This last method can creep into retard during running . Serious race bike never use this sort . Sid .

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Ken, Didn't you see that bit in MPH, From Barry/ B , On mags, One or two months ago, Where he bought the cable out the wrong side, Cheers Bill.

Ken Tidswell

VOC Member
I had September's issue to hand, and on seeing the photographs it is possible to work out how it works, But a drawing would be nice, Thank you