Main Bearings and Loc-tite

riptragle1953

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The other day a fellow wrote me to let me know that Phil Irving did not say in "Tuning for Speed" one had to sleeve the cases.... as if to show I do not know what I am talking about.
Phil gave three examples of retaining outer races:
1. Loc-tite can be used on a race that is still a snug fit..... BUT, as the bearing has lost it's compressive fit.... it now has an extremely wide radial clearance and this is one of the factors of a worn out bearing.
2. One can have the bearing race plated oversize.... and given the accuracy of the plating, the original bearing could compress to an acceptable radial clearance.
The problem with the two above is you are still using the soft housing that allowed the bearing to loose fit in the first place..... therefore it will happen again.
3. Phil then pointed out sleeving..... and, obviously, with a hard Al. Bz. housing the fit is there to stay..... which is why precision Alumnium castings are cast with a hard bearing surface in the first place.

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
In 1966, I worked (on the loading dock) at a helicopter transmission factory. All the bearing housings had (I think) cad plated liners inserted and all the tapped holes were actually cad plated inserts. So, I think that inserts are an excellent idea!