G: Gearbox (Twin) Layshafts and KTB

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Had a look at the second gear shaft not yet assembled in engine. But sorry I could not detect a difference with all gears on. Maybe I got one shaft with different ends and this one is symmetric, I don´t know. Best you check alignments of all gears when tested in gearbox.

Vic
No you cant see with gears on but I think Bobs nailed it
1715237990310.png

oexing

VOC Member
Thanks, yes, I remembered some tiny steps with the first engine . But they are not a lot so I could not see them yesterday to tell about them with gears on. Hope I did not mess up sides last time I worked on the gearbox bits, a few years ago. Have not got the brains anymore to remember details from that job unfortunately . . . .

Vic

DucATIRadeon

Non-VOC Member
there was a topic on gearbox running rough/tight on here not too long ago, and there it was pointed out perhaps the shaft is flipped in orientation; and indeed it was.
without reading KTB and instruction sheets, it was visible when juggling around with the gearbox parts there was one end shorter than the other, and when fitting the gears it showed clearly which orientation is the correct one.

wouldn't surprise me if the shaft itself is symmetrical, and the 2nd step is grinding the stepped diameter to the required length.