Misc: Ignition KVF Cam Rings

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I've just looked at one in the shed, off a late 1950 Black Shadow that has the two small screws and the wide slot in the cam ring, so some are definitely like it. That is not to say they are original as many years have passed since. I have seen both types on many machines, plus at one point I was overhauling magnetos, about 4 per week, of many types and models over a period of about 7 months.

LoneStar

VOC Member
Interesting stuff, thanks. The Official Documentation doesn't always reflect the details of actual production.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
When I purchased my Rapide in 1965 the KVF magneto had had a modification done to it by a previous owner, they had drilled and tapped two small threads round the circumference of the aluminium cam ring end cover, at the time I presumed the purpose was to distort the cam ring a little to get the firing degrees spot on, an alternative to stoning the ramps a little I supposed, then the mag packed up and I gave to a Lucas electrical shop in Edgware, I have a feeling it came back to as a service exchange unit without the tapped holes, has anyone else come across this modification/bodge.