ET: Engine (Twin) Kick Start Bore Plug Design

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have inserted cork wine plugs to eliminate leakage from the kick start bore thru the twin cases.
probably worked ok.

Just found this oring style plug and wonder if it would be better in the correct size.

KSBorePlugBrouchure1.jpg

What if it falls out on the primary end of bore?

Last edited:

LoneStar

VOC Member
I vote for a wine cork. Lighter, less expensive and 100% as functionally effective. Also can be removed with a corkscrew, not requiring a bolt of specific thread size. And one more reason to invest in a bottle of wine. I use one from a Napa Valley cabernet, though expert opinion on this is divided...

vibrac

VOC Member
Although not a wine drinker I vote for cork stuffing, Its easy to overthink solutions to motorcycle problems
What did that great poet Check Berry say? ' too much monkey business'

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Next time I need to fit a bung I will use a cork replacement normally found in the cheaper bottles of wine, normally black in colour, and very dense foam type construction, fitted with a smear of Wellseal, should be perfect.

stu spalding

VOC Member
I'm a beer drinker, bottle tops don't work so I'll stick to a rubber bung, two washers and a 2BA nut and bolt. Cheers, Stu.

clevtrev

VOC Member
I have inserted cork wine plugs to eliminate leakage from the kick start bore thru the twin cases.
probably worked ok.

Just found this oring style plug and wonder if it would be better in the correct size.

View attachment 55598

What if it falls out on the primary end of bore?
How can it if it`s in a counterbore, The hole is .7" the counterbore either .75" or 1.0".