A: Oil Pipework Herringbone hose..

chankly bore

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
G'day Bob. Here you go then: For standard Rapide: A52AS 4 1/4" x 4 off, A52/1AS 3" x 2 off, A52/2 11" x 1 off; all these are 5/16" i.d., therefore total length required is 2' 8". 9" of 3/8" i. d. is needed for the pump feed pipe, A65AS. Note that this is oil and petrol combined as shown on M018 and M019.

highbury731

VOC Member
Original hose was smooth. I am not certain when the Factory started using the Herringbone hose, but it looks like it was used in later production.
David
When did the factory use plain tubing, and when go over to herringbone? The tatty remains I got with my '49 bike is herringbone.
Maybe a silly question, but which date do you put to a bike? Mine was built in October '49, tested in November, and despatched in June '50
Paul

Albervin

VOC Member
When did the factory use plain tubing, and when go over to herringbone? The tatty remains I got with my '49 bike is herringbone.
Maybe a silly question, but which date do you put to a bike? Mine was built in October '49, tested in November, and despatched in June '50
Paul
In the UK it was the norm to date a vehicle made after the motor show as the following year. So, made Nov. 49 it is a 1950 model. Then when plates had an alpha such as VIN 998A they were considered the next year's model after the plate was released, usually August. All very confusing. When was your bike first registered?

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Paul
As machine registrar I always use the date the bike left the factory as it is an exact date where as a bike took days (or in some cases months) to build so nothing exact with that. The UK DVLA registration authority use the despatch date as well.
I also believe the date a vehicle left the factory used to have some tax implications, as in that they didn't have to declare it as a sale until then when it went onto the company book for calculating tax due.

Sorry I know that has nothing to do with Herringbone hose.

Simon

davidd

VOC Member
When did the factory use plain tubing, and when go over to herringbone?

I can only notice that smooth tubing was used in the original photos. I see herringbone in almost all of the 1953 and later photos and none in the photos up to 1951. It is possible that the factory used both as both seemed to be available.

Assuming that herringbone lines were always available and then at some time became the preferred supplier to the parts department, I could see how herringbone became the "known" standard. However, if you look at early photos of Lightnings and Flashes, the oil lines are smooth.

2749 06 01.png

The above Black Lightning was offered for the 1950 model year.

David

highbury731

VOC Member
When was your bike first registered?
It was one of the 'warehouse' bikes, and one of a batch of 40 bikes sent to a large dealer in the Brighton area (I think it was Redhill Motors). The registration records are lost, so I don't know when it was actually registered for the road. Probably mid to late 1950. It was registered KUF 5**, which may actually give a date.

If the main oil feed pipe A65 is made a bit longer than standard it allows the removal of gearchange cover G1 without disconnecting the bottom banjo bolt. Cheers, Stu.
Great, how long, how much longer than standard?

I see herringbone in almost all of the 1953 and later photos and none in the photos up to 1951. It is possible that the factory used both as both seemed to be available.

Assuming that herringbone lines were always available and then at some time became the preferred supplier to the parts department, I could see how herringbone became the "known" standard. However, if you look at early photos of Lightnings and Flashes, the oil lines are smooth.
David
So plain piping is actually correct for my bike, even though I have tatty herringbone pipe in the bits box. It would also be easier to keep clean.
Paul

Last edited: