A: Oil Pipework Herringbone hose..

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I would not create a hard and fast rule, I was just noting that on many of the original photos of Lightnings and Flashes that smooth oil lines were used. I was reacting to how firmly the default position has been that herringbone lines came on all Vincents. I don't think this was the case. However, I am not certain that there are enough original photos of Vincents, with good visual detail of the lines to make a conclusion either way.

David

Sakura

Non-VOC Member
What is the point of herringbone pipe? It is arguably, fractionally more attractive than plain pipe but is obviously more complicated to produce so why did the suppliers bother?

Cyborg

VOC Member
What is the point of herringbone pipe? It is arguably, fractionally more attractive than plain pipe but is obviously more complicated to produce so why did the suppliers bother?

That’s a good question.

I just ordered up a bit for fuel line and it is different. Actually looks fine, just different from original. It’s the one on the far right. The two on the left are original. The replacement A65 hose that was available seemed to be an exact copy, but doesn’t appear to be available at the moment.The replacement A52 hose shown in the second photo looks like an appendage from a porcupine. I have now come to the conclusion that the only important aspect is whether or not fuel and oil will pass through it.

00260E55-914A-421E-8F2A-FDCC787F8853.jpeg
2D7E5308-3999-4ACD-9D77-F063E43F2D74.jpeg

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
The OD's of these hoses seem to vary quite a bit, even with the same ID's. Do you use standard ferrules? If so, do you crimp them or just leave them as they come?

Gary

Cyborg

VOC Member
The OD's of these hoses seem to vary quite a bit, even with the same ID's. Do you use standard ferrules? If so, do you crimp them or just leave them as they come?

Gary

I"m probably not the best person to ask. My other lesser OHC stuff of the same vintage comes with smooth hose and the herringbone thing is relatively new to me. When I bought the porcupine stuff, I ordered new ferrules at the same time. It took a bit to get them installed. My ferrels for the oil lines aren't crimped and don't see the need as they are quite snug and its not like they have to contain any pressure. The ones for the fuel lines haven't been crimped yet, but probably should be. They are not quite as snug as the oil lines and over time exposed to fuel may become less so. The basket that this thing came in contained a small supply of NOS ferrules of varying sizes, so hasn't been a problem. As least not until you asked the question and I realize I have none that will fit my new hose.

highbury731

VOC Member
I had another look through the remains of pipes which I got in my basket-case. I have three rubber pieces: the breather pipe is plain pipe wrapped in cloth, the main return pipe is herringbone, and I have a short pipe from the return line which is plain. It's impossible to say if any of these pipes are original to the bike or replacements.... and no idea which I should try to emulate when making the new ones.
Paul

vibrac

VOC Member
Since the plain ferrule without crimping relies on slight swelling in use to complete the sealing my experience tells me that plain hose gives a better seal but the diameter is very critical. Incidentally I have some slightly larger turned ferrules with a raised edge and plated were these for pre war pipes?