Help: Rings for a +.030" Specialloid Piston wanted

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Someone has told us, " British Motorcycles Bikes & Spares ", May be able to help ?.
John Harding 01989 750731, He has an advert in Vintage Club.
Let us know how you get on, I may have the same trouble soon. Cheers Bill.

Howard

VOC Member
Try F W Thornton. They sorted some rings for me. They work on dimensions if they haven't got a set specifically for your piston, so get your vernier out and give them a ring. :)

Cheers
Howard

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
Take a look at Total Seal rings. I successfully fitted these to specialloids after having the ring grooves machined to size.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Nigel,
Deves used to list Vincent rings, try them 1st. I used to take Chevrolet LUV 84mm rings and fit them (order +.030), but you have to machine the ring grooves to fit and it's pretty tight. It might be simpler to leave your old 2nd rings in.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Thanks for the replies chaps!
As Bill mentions, the spares company rings are deeper than the originals, which are only available in STD, +.020" & +.040" sizes.
It did cross my mind to machine the piston to accept the +.040" rings (as I had already purchased a set) and then gap them to suit. I was unsure that machining the groove wouldn't weaken the piston & if there was a risk of the modified ring being under too much (sprung) tension.
It would also be on the limit of my modest skills, so I would be "putting a job out", which always invloves its fair share of hassle / disappointment.

I'm no expert Howard, but I think +.030" was a standard oversize from the factory, but yes I suppose today it is not a common one - hence my predicament...

Cheers,

Mike
I am not an engineer so please don't laugh, well not out loud anyway, rather than modify the piston grooves would it be possible to very carefully reduce the thickness of the available rings on a slipstone, that is if we are only talking a few thou. Sometimes the most dreadful bodges work, in the sixties, with very little knowledge or money, I took a swiss file to an oversize half time pinion, got it to there or there abouts, and it worked for a good few miles, I don't think Tony Maughan was overly impressed when he rebuilt my engine at a later date though.

van drenth

VOC Member
I can help somebody out with Wellworty pistonrings
Seize 84 + 010 x 1/16 x .118
84 + 010 x 1/8 x 126
In total I have 11 rings for Two pistons,
Those comes from Argentina as new ols stock.
So how can use them, for only the cost of sending them ?
Regards,
van Drenth JC

Flylow

VOC Member
Hello,
I wondered does anyone know a source of replacement piston rings for a + .030" Specialloid piston?

My Comet barrel is on size and only .002" out of round, but I may have to have a rebore if I can't find any replacement rings (1 broke while removing it).

Many thanks in advance,

Mike

Hi Mike,
You can get rings that fit Specialloid's here:
www.deves.com

Best -Kurt

Cyborg

VOC Member
I bought some for my Comet project from Deves, He made them up for me and if I recall correctly it was approximately $50 USD.
The oil ring he supplied is 4 pieces and a bit awkward to deal with unless you have a proper ring compressor. I “may” have some 30 over rings, but they have beveled ends on them ( looks like a scarf joint) so they are a PITA to gap properly. I’ll check.