ET: Engine (Twin) Help needed.

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Chris, How does the front carby clear the rear head and/or top frame rail........I've found the only carb that will clear both is the Mk 1 concentrics with custom made manifolds.......I've seen carbs positioned under the rail with an up draft manifold........not ideal as they tend to "pool up" with fuel on the overrun.
I scalloped the frame tube away and welded a curved plate in, this was originally for Amal Mk2s ( with the top outer mounting shaved off), I had to shorten the manifold to get the Mikuni petrol pipe in as it comes straight up.
P1000623.JPG
P1000624.JPG

greg brillus

VOC Member
Most Norvin's I've built I've opted for new Mk 1 premier carbs.......most other modern carbs are too big and you have to get creative with a grinder and cut off wheel to the rear cylinder.........not my choice as Vic says.......it's all a compromise.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Most Norvin's I've built I've opted for new Mk 1 premier carbs.......most other modern carbs are too big and you have to get creative with a grinder and cut off wheel to the rear cylinder.........not my choice as Vic says.......it's all a compromise.
I built this long before Amal made premiers, and got the Mikuni's before then as well.

timetraveller

VOC Member
A few months ago I was asked to do the valve timing on a couple of twin engines by Gipsy John. One engine was in a Manx frame and access to the rear valve gear is very restricted. It made the job really difficult and it did not seem like a good option to me.

greg brillus

VOC Member
I bought my race bike as a complete running machine.......it had a 2 valve ESO engine in it.......loads of fun and high revving, but not a Vincent.......I always struggled with the riding position after we sold the twin Vincent racer I had before.......The Vincent just seemed to be so much easier to ride......Now after all the development of the Comet engine in the featherbed frame, I am planning on removing the engine/box from the frame and changing it all back to being a true Vincent racer........I'm racing the bike at Winton in Victoria this coming weekend........After that I'll start the process of putting the new package together. And yes, just that bit easier to work on without a full loop frame.........although the Norton frame with the Comet engine is pretty accessible really. The carb angle is not ideal, that seems to be the biggest drawback using these frames to me.