HB: Handlebars Handlebar Weights

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Stuff some lead shot up the bars
PS if you have a club run sorted you are a lucky guy
I'd heard that, but it's not very scientific ... like how much? and how do we retain it?
I'm thinking steel bar, held in place by my bar end mirror and O'rings.
At the moment we're restricting "club runs" to 2, max 3, otherwise, like the convoy system speeds would be to suit the slowest and 3,000 rpm would not be where we were riding. :D :D
I've done a few miles on the Comet and the Egli today on my own ............ I don't have a problem with social distancing ....... lack of toilet stops is another thing ........... there's a few hedges dying on my usual run round the Peak District. :D

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Howard,
Get an old wine cork and ram it down the inside of the bar. put about an inch of lead shot then another cork, but make the second a bit looser so you can adjust the amount of shot.

It made a big difference on my Comet which has a big buzz at motorway speeds.

Neil

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Or do a rebalance on your crank.
Maybe different weight conrods.

When i got that in the picture, the later ones are much quieter....

Howard

VOC Member
Howard,
Get an old wine cork and ram it down the inside of the bar. put about an inch of lead shot then another cork, but make the second a bit looser so you can adjust the amount of shot.

It made a big difference on my Comet which has a big buzz at motorway speeds.

Neil
Now that's my sort of mod. Not sure where to get lead shot, but I know how to get 4 wine bottle corks.

Texas John

Non-VOC Member
You can make the lead shot stick together by mixing it with epoxy (hard) or silicone seal or even white glue (softer and cheaper). Plug near one end (leave a few inches in case you want to use bar-end mirrors) and fill to near the other end. Allow to dry or harden depending upon choice of glues. If really gung-ho, you can melt it into place by heating the lead and the bars. Plan ahead to make a tunnel if you want to run your wiring through the handlebars. To save some weight, you can fill the very center with sponge or something as you really want the weight outwards of the bends and the clamps.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Now that's my sort of mod. Not sure where to get lead shot, but I know how to get 4 wine bottle corks.
Fishing shops, Big Sid told me how to do it, He said use 1/4" lead balls, I didn't think lead was still allowed ,
But I had no trouble, He said make one side a different length from the other, Maybe 4" wide and 5" the other.
Transformed my L/ning at 70 mph,
Make sure the ball are free to move.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Just to show how balance can affect vibration I have a Norton Atlas, 60 mph and fingers tingled and at 70 vision was blurred, AND I'd had it balanced, twice !!, last Autumn it had started using a lot of oil and smoking a bit so I fitted new pistons (the ones in were 2nd hand when I fitted them 30 years ago), the bore was still good so in went std pistons, now it's smooth up to 70, not ventured beyond that but it's totally different.