ET: Engine (Twin) Half Time Pinion (Punch Dot Marks not present)

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
De

Dear Bill,
I have just got to ask. Why have you sawn a mainshaft in half?:confused:
I am going MAD !, Just a bit of Fun, It was old and rusted, And I thought it would help to make a tool, I am still trying to work out how to do my 560cc Flywheels.
Got to hold the 2 together and in line, To bore the new hole, I will weld them together, Like Chris said, Thanks Chris, But got to get them spot on.
Trying to get things spinning true on my wood lathe, But my lathe centres are too small.
I am not good at doing things in thou's, And if I mess it up I will be cross with myself, I have bought myself a boring machine, But people say it won't be good enough.
We shall see, Thanks for your interest. Cheers Bill.

Len Matthews

VOC Member
If the Half Time Pinions are too hard to mark with a centre punch how did the Factory mark them? It is known that they were marked when assembling a new engine after the fitter had set the timing. This means the pinion only applies to that particular engine as does the under or oversize pinion chosen to set the mesh with the large idler. Over to you Mr Bowen!

greg brillus

VOC Member
I had a twin engine that had a small piece of the pinion tooth come off and go through the other gears basically had to replace the lot. When looking at the pinion once removed you could see the edge of the punch mark that caused the fracture. New pinions don't come marked, but it is easier to mark them with a grinding method than an impact method. Yes you don't have to mark them at all if you choose so, but it makes it easier for the next person if you do it with all the gears timed correctly.