Misc: Everything Else Grosset starter issue

Bowsh

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Happy New Year to all
Over the winter I've fitted a new Groset starter to my Rapide C. The starter initially spins the motor but after a second it stops turning the engine over, it sounds like the electric motor still spinning though. I'm thinking that it might be a sprag clutch problem. Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
It might be that the teeth on G46 are not staying engaged properly with the corresponding teeth on the back of the sprag clutch. The teeth need to be in good condition on both items also check the G48 spring is OK. Check the bush in the G46 for too much clearance too.

vibrac

VOC Member
Of course this may have happened .....
1577996925982.png

greg brillus

VOC Member
I've had bikes do the same thing in the past........It was the sprag clutch slipping.........The grease in them is quite specific, a synthetic type from memory. It may be worth checking to see if there is some or none in there, you have to be careful on reassembly that the teeth of the kickstart ratchet part of the clutch does not damage the seal, spinning it in the direction of rotation as the two parts come together. It might be a wise idea to use the decompressor lever to help unload the starter and allow the flywheels to spin up first.

vibrac

VOC Member
I would say it's essential to use the decompressor unless you like playing Russian roulette
Also pulling the clutch in when switching on coil ignition is not a bad idea it was a backfire on turning the key that Detoothed the above

stu spalding

VOC Member
The seal only prevents grease exiting from it's end of the bearing, there is nothing to stop the grease leaving the other end into the clutch, so it can easily run dry. I have had a new set of sprags start slipping and then grip again for no apparent reason, it's probably best to clean the clutch and start afresh. I have found that silicon grease works as well as the special grease that Francois supplies and as my bike is my regular transport the starter gets a lot of use, I've worn out 2 sets of sprags so far. New sprags are available from any good bearing supplier, part no Cross Morse 761310003 although the original cage supplied with the starter kit must be retained as Francois narrows it slightly. Cheers, Stu.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Although it makes perfect logical sense to use the decompressor a second or so before engaging the electric starter, thereby getting some benefit from the flywheel effect, it is not what Francois Grosset or Trevor Southwell recommend, I don't know the reasons why, but can only surmise that you could increase the risk of a backfire in doing so, I have trained myself not to decompress (after 50+ years of doing so) fingers crossed, nothing has broken yet.

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
Happy New Year to all
Over the winter I've fitted a new Groset starter to my Rapide C. The starter initially spins the motor but after a second it stops turning the engine over, it sounds like the electric motor still spinning though. I'm thinking that it might be a sprag clutch problem. Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Paul
take the clutch dome off ,and check that your problem is not due to your clutch slipping.
stumpy