Grosset sprag clutch

Sakura

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi,
My Grosset sprag clutch has about 0.003" clearance on G3, leading to quite a bit of movement at the periphery. G3 is 0.748" and the sprag clutch seems to be 0.751". I'm thinking of using Loctite 641 to take up the slack. Has anyone done this and ,if so, how difficult is it to remove the sprag clutch for lubrication? Trev?

Sakura

Non-VOC Member
Just had a reply from Francois - he says a bit of movement is no problem, and he should know. However, it doesn't seem right for the clutch to logger about on the shaft and splines and Loctite would cure that. Loctite is, however, tenacious stuff and I wouldn't want to heat the sprag clutch to get it off, only a drawer or 2 pry bars. Your views?

clevtrev

VOC Member
It`s very difficult to get the sprag centre spot on, mainly because of all the differences of the shaft end, yours as you say is .748 that`s a small one, the splines are cut in many different ways, I don`t know they did some of them, looks like a knife and fork was used. I try to make the hole over to allow for expansion when hardening, but even that varies from batch to batch. I was thinking, perhaps some loctite 600 used on an oily shaft, put in position for a couple of hours, removed and allowed to cure. That`s only a thought, I`ve never tried it, BUT.

rogerphilip

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi,
My Grosset sprag clutch has about 0.003" clearance on G3, leading to quite a bit of movement at the periphery. G3 is 0.748" and the sprag clutch seems to be 0.751". I'm thinking of using Loctite 641 to take up the slack. Has anyone done this and ,if so, how difficult is it to remove the sprag clutch for lubrication? Trev?

Hi Sakura
http://www.loctite.co.uk/sea/content_data/LT3335_Fixmaster_and_Nordbak_Epoxy_Application_Guide.pdf

Page 14 of the PDF may be of help