FF: Forks Girdraulics........Factory specs on trail.......

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi there all, does anyone know the factory specs for trail on the Girdraulics in the solo and sidecar positions......... I have a friend who is setting up a road racing outfit and wishes to know what the specs are.........Many thanks and cheers for now......... Greg.

Oldhaven

VOC Member
Chapter V of the Riders Handbook. 3-1/4; 2-1/2

Of course it varies quite a bit as the forks work so I expect this is at normally laden height, and the JE steering mod changes all that.

Last edited:

Ken Tidswell

VOC Member
The factory works sheets says the standard solo trail is 3¼ inches and sidecar is 2½ inches.

Last edited by a moderator:

timetraveller

VOC Member
When braking hard with the standard geometry, or lifting the front wheel off the ground, the trail increases to about 5 inches. To check this put the bike on its front stand and look at how close the lower front mudguard stay gets to the mag cowl.

deejay499

VOC Member
Hi there all, does anyone know the factory specs for trail on the Girdraulics in the solo and sidecar positions......... I have a friend who is setting up a road racing outfit and wishes to know what the specs are.........Many thanks and cheers for now.........
Don’t forget that the trail changes with smaller wheels.

timetraveller

VOC Member
No disagreement here but a note on something I have often come across which seems to cause confusion. Ignoring a few tenths of an inch a 20" wheel with a 3" section tyre has the same rolling diameter, 26", as a 19" wheel with a 3.5" tyre. No change of trail there. However, a 16" sidecar outfit front wheel with a 4" section tyre will have about a 24" rolling diameter.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Thanks for the input guy's.......just been trying to find some info to help out a chap with a road racing outfit that has had a few handling issues. But there might be more to the story, and i have not seen the machine to know exactly what is going on.........Cheers........... Greg.